Bad areas in Sheffield

Hi,

I'm going to stay in Sheffield for a couple of days to get a feel how is life there, and later I'm planning to move there if it's good, I've heard rally nice things. Do you have any suggestions what places should I avoid when walking around at night?

Thanks!

Sharrow, i wouldnt walk round there on my own at night. im sure you will be bombarded with other areas too :|

might be a good idea to ask about the good places too!

oh and Neepsend!! never walk around Neepsend :)

Thanks! Well, I heard Sheffield is a good place in general, but if there are any places I really shouldn't miss, I would love to hear about them too :)

Spital Hill is not the nicest of places .

Pointless thread as all will happen is X will say X is a nasty area, Y will wade in and say "no it isnt, I have lived here for X years", X will come back and have an argument and then the thread will degenerate from there.

Do you know where you are going to be staying? Wherever it is, I guess you won't be walking more than a mile or two away from that.

Do you know where you are going to be staying? Wherever it is, I guess you won't be walking more than a mile or two away from that.

I don't have a plan yet, but I would like to stay in the city centre and discover as many places as I can. I know a couple of days won't be enough for much, but I can get a first impression and that's what I'm looking for.

I don't think there's anywhere within reasonable walking distance of the city centre that is a bad area.

There are areas that are slightly less salubrious, but even these would be a bit of a hike.

For example.

Generally East of the train station.

North East beyond the Wicker.

Directly North is mostly semi-industrial within walking distance.

All other directions will be pleasant enough, although there might not be a huge amount to see if you're just wandering without a plan.

http://goo.gl/maps/3XHWN

You can see the city centre here, the train station is to the East, there's a pretty obvious inner ring road, within that area it's all safe (mostly outside that area it's all safe as well).

The London road area has been getting a bit of a bad rep recently, I would avoid walking there alone in the early hours (that applies to many places really).

But if you're not alone and want to go have a meal out its probably one of the best places to go looking.

Most areas are ok during the day. Just use your common sence and dont flash your phone around or wallet. Stick to main roads out of town . There are good and bad areas of Sheffield, just like other cities. Pop into estate agents while you are here. They can tell you about the good and bad areas.

City centre, statistically is the worst area by far. More incidents of theft, fighting, drug abuse, shoplifting, suicide, random violence than any other.

Yes, a couple of days in the city centre should certainly put you off coming here permanently.