Sheffield bus fares up again from April 2013

I have driven for 20 years. Now have a free medical pass.

Rather pay for a car than get bus for free. It used to take me 5 minutes to get to cineworld or meadowhall. Now it takes 30 minutes or much more.

Cars are far better than buses. The price of buses should be equaly cheaper as cars in their decreased quality in service.

Ii was going to say the exact same thing! I think its ridiculous that a 5 year old has to pay the same as a 15/16 year old. I agree that they should be some sort of child ticket to say the age of 10 or maybe when 11 when they start secondary school.

Why?

It costs the same to transport a child as an adult. Fuel, drivers wages and vehicle repairs doesn't become cheaper if you are carrying kids rather than adults.

The way it currently works in South Yorkshire is the child flat fare is subsidised by SYPTE and they set the prices and conditions of child tickets.

That said there are a few commercially offered products offered that receive no local authority funding. Stagecoach do a child rate on the Day Explorer that is valid on all their services in South Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire (£3.70 child, £5.50 adult) and First do a family ticket (£8.50 valid for 2 adults and 3 children)

---------- Post added 13-03-2013 at 12:43 ----------

The ultimate aim is to do away with the flat fare for children and go to either 1/2 or 2/3 fare like the majority of the country, at that point a day ticket would make sense.

Like Derbyshire http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/public_transport/tickets_passes/concessionary_fares/default.asp

Maybe if they lowered the frequency of routes like the 120, every five minutes with hardly any passengers on them, money could be saved to keep the fares lower?

And maybe if they started allowing passengers to use those ''SORRY NOT IN SERVICE'' buses fares might get lower because they'd be earning more money instead of wasting their deisel on empty buses.

No, what we are getting is a bit like on the trams where the next stop is announced both audibly and visually.

Ooo I hope not, that really gets on my nerves & you can't nod off on trams cos of that! I like to nod off on the bus on my way home :o

Why are bus fares so unfair? I had to catch the bus to the dentist yesterday - well 2 buses actually. It cost me £1.20 on the Stagecoach 88 from Bents Green to the bottom of the Moor and then £1.40 from the same to Highfields. On the return journey I travelled 3 stops for £1.40 on a Mainline 75 and £1.40 on a Mainline back to Bents Green. Can anyone tell me where the logic is in all this?

Why are bus fares so unfair? I had to catch the bus to the dentist yesterday - well 2 buses actually. It cost me £1.20 on the Stagecoach 88 from Bents Green to the bottom of the Moor and then £1.40 from the same to Highfields. On the return journey I travelled 3 stops for £1.40 on a Mainline 75 and £1.40 on a Mainline back to Bents Green. Can anyone tell me where the logic is in all this?

They call it 'Fare stages'

I'll let someone else explain what they are

They call it 'Fare stages'

I'll let someone else explain what they are

Yes I know that.. but how can they justify 3 stops for the same price (or 20p cheaper on Stagecoach) of approximately 15 stops - who decides what a fare stage is?

Likewise bottom of the Moor to Abbeydale pictures is £1.70 - thats 6 stops.

Fare stages unfair in my opinion.

Having said that, I live at Bents Green so I am getting the better deal so I mustn't complain too loudly, hence querying on here and NOT the bus companies themselves.

All bus routes? Will this affect students?

School & College kids 70p and Uni students 80p.

---------- Post added 16-03-2013 at 01:20 ----------

It's not about how many stops you travel it's about fare stages. You can go all the way to Caterknowle Rd for £1.40 on the 75. High Green to City is also £1.40 and that's a **** load more stops than from Bents Green and if you want to have a moan, don't start with the driver have a go at the ones that actually put the fares up OK !

Edited by Sagan1

School & College kids 70p and Uni students 80p.

---------- Post added 16-03-2013 at 01:20 ----------

It's not about how many stops you travel it's about fare stages. You can go all the way to Caterknowle Rd for £1.40 on the 75. High Green to City is also £1.40 and that's a **** load more stops than from Bents Green and if you want to have a moan, don't start with the driver have a go at the ones that actually put the fares up OK !

Get off your high horse Sagan, I haven't complained to anyone and if you bothered to read my full post you will see that I am a winner really. Its those poor saps that live just short of the inner city that are getting royally ripped off and I beg to differ on getting to Carterknowle Road on £1.40 - its actually £1.70 - or it is to Abbeydale Pictures. Maybe you have been underpaying your fare all this time.

Guest busdriver1

that was obviously a long time ago because mainline dissapeared about 10 years ago.

---------- Post added 16-03-2013 at 12:04 ----------

Look at Transport for London prices for children and young people on links.

Yes we saw it the first time but did not comment because it has no relevance. They tried a similar scheme in Barnsley and are busy phasing it out because it turned buses into mobile creches and fare paying adults avoided them.