Fishing in ireland

Pkingy

Back in the 80s and 90s i used to go to southern Ireland at least 3 times a year. There used to be lots of cars with rods strapped to the roof racks. Had some fantastic 100 pound plus catches. Do people still go? i have heard its pretty expensive now

Going to killashadra in Cavan got a cottage that sleeps 6 . 30yds to town lake going from hollyhead to Dublin then about a 2hr drive. The more people go the cheaper it gets. We take all food and bait with us to keep costs down . Guinness is about £3.50 a pint so not much difference to here

We stayed in Killykeen forest park just 100 yards to the banks loch oughter. if i remember right we fished 2 swims all week no point moving about if you put enough bait in the bream will come to you. And sweetcorn was the way to go. we got through 30 tins each in a week. Great days

i started going to ireland in the late '70s, going once or twice every year for many years.

we had some great times over there catching big black bream on the river suck for our first few visits then in later years fishing the erne and lakes around belturbet.

i could write a book about some of the scrapes we got into, having a soldier's rifle pointing at your head in northern ireland, pulled by the garda who had a photo album of wanted people, interrogated by british security in holyhead all spring to mind!

i've not been for a long time but i'd love to go back. the fishing was in the doldrums a few years back, a lot of bream were netted for fertilizer and foreign anglers killed a lot of fish but hopefully it will be back to it's former glory.

i started going to ireland in the late '70s, going once or twice every year for many years.

we had some great times over there catching big black bream on the river suck for our first few visits then in later years fishing the erne and lakes around belturbet.

i could write a book about some of the scrapes we got into, having a soldier's rifle pointing at your head in northern ireland, pulled by the garda who had a photo album of wanted people, interrogated by british security in holyhead all spring to mind!

i've not been for a long time but i'd love to go back. the fishing was in the doldrums a few years back, a lot of bream were netted for fertilizer and foreign anglers killed a lot of fish but hopefully it will be back to it's former glory.

Still not the same as it was but you can still get 30-50 lb bream if you work at it. It's not just the fishing tho havin a laugh with your mates and no nagging women is a big part of it

we stayed in some great digs. one farm we stayed at had recently slaughtered a beast so we got a massive steak every night with thick tongue sandwiches for pack up (it even had the taste buds left on it). another place we stayed at every time in the belturbet area was found by accident. our original digs had double booked us so they contacted a couple just starting a guest house and took us there. we became personal friends with oonagh and andrew and stayed with them many times until andrew sadly died and oonagh sold the business soon after.

many a good night was spent in the cosy bar in beturbet but the best pub was the forge in co. roscommon. the guinness there was so thick that one year it was my 21st birthday so the lads stuck 21 matches in the head of a pint and lit them and the whole pub sang happy birthday!