Stop gmail asking for mobile number??

anyone know how to do this? I have only just swtiched to gmail and would like to avoid switching again but I am not prepared to go through multiple screens of "give us your number" screens every time I try and login. I have given a fake number and now it wants to confirm it by sending me a text:rant:

No google you will never get my mobile number no matter what!

I think there isn't a way to get around it, the fact is, it stops spammers.

Google suggests if you don't have a phone, you can use a friend's number. Failing that, order a free sim card online and use that.

They don't link the number with your account they just need to prove you're human.

I've done extensive searching on the net to find a way to stop those very annoying demands for a mobile number- unfortunatley not found a solution as yet.

Those threads are pretty annoying as well, as they are full of posters who completely disregard the ops request for info, and, instead, endeavour to justify googles stance.

Google certainly won't be getting my mobile number.

I think the most feasable solution is to just keep complaining about it- if enough people object google will back down.

In the meantime, if anyone does find a way to stop this, please post it on this thread.

(Note that many threads claim it can be stopped by going to settings/preferences- it can't, as that procedure also demands your mobile number to proceed) :loopy:

I think its terrible that the employees? of google on the forums suggest the use of a friends number:o

Anyone giving google my number will lose my friendship!!

---------- Post added 01-03-2013 at 15:10 ----------

They use the number to send you a text if you forget your password.

my email password is the only password I will never forget so thats absolutely no use to me.

Just keep using Gmail without giving the number. It should eventually stop asking.

I have been using a gmail.com account for 6+ years now, and it's not asked me once for what now seems like months and months.

Or use it as a mobile version (i-something/Android tablet) = no nag screen ;)

Just keep using Gmail without giving the number. It should eventually stop asking.

I have been using a gmail.com account for 6+ years now, and it's not asked me once for what now seems like months and months.

Or use it as a mobile version (i-something/Android tablet) = no nag screen ;)

I have been trying this for months it goes quiet and then asks me 3 times in a row-it really riles me because I find it rude that I have said no and it still keeps asking:mad:

maybe I will try the mobile version-good idea:hihi: