Populous areas in Sheffield with inadequate bus services?

Super Hans

Just walking down Gleadless road earlier on from Townend, and I was wondering...it's quite a main road yet the top half is only served by one bus every half an hour which, if it comes...finishes at 6pm and doesn't run on Sunday.

Anyway I was thinking there's a large estate that surrounds what I would consider to be a main road and I think it's a bit weird that this route has a bus service like it's in rural Derbyshire. I mean, I know the tram is at the top of the hill but it's by no means close to hundreds of people - many elderly, for some people it might be a good half hour walk to the nearest bus stop or the tram, which is weird for a ward as big as Gleadless.

IMO the 51 would be much better off being rerouted down to Gleadless common, through Gleadless Road via Hollinsend Road as Ridgeway road is very well served by public transport anyway?

Anywhere else in Sheffield like this?

Just walking down Gleadless road earlier on from Townend, and I was wondering...it's quite a main road yet the top half is only served by one bus every half an hour which, if it comes...finishes at 6pm and doesn't run on Sunday.

Anyway I was thinking there's a large estate that surrounds what I would consider to be a main road and I think it's a bit weird that this route has a bus service like it's in rural Derbyshire. I mean, I know the tram is at the top of the hill but it's by no means close to hundreds of people - many elderly, for some people it might be a good half hour walk to the nearest bus stop or the tram, which is weird for a ward as big as Gleadless.

IMO the 51 would be much better off being rerouted down to Gleadless common, through Gleadless Road via Hollinsend Road as Ridgeway road is very well served by public transport anyway?

I've thought this a lot but the 252 doesn't actually get that busy really so would a new bus ?

Well I thought this too, but many buses are not busy at the times it runs. It finishes at 6pm so many commuters can't realistically get it and no one is going to wait for a bus that half the time just doesn't exist.

Yeah I can see your point, a bus every 15 mins which doesn't stop till the same time as the rest I think would get used actually, it would be damn handy aswell because as you say the 252 isn't exactly reliable.

The route suggested for the 51 bus wouldn't be feasible, as there is no exit onto Gleadless Road, from Hollinsend Road. (instead of coming out by the Heeley and Sheffield pub, you;d have to go via Gleadless Bank

Even if there were an exit, that would still leave almost a whole mile of Gleadless Road, Between Leighton Road and Hollinsend Road served only by the irregular 252 service.

(the distance between Hollinsend Road and the junction at Gleadless Townend is only a tenth of a mile, anyway)

I'd say the route of the number 4 service along Psalter lane has a similar problem, there's one bus an hour, (if it turns up) but there is (like on that part of Gleadless hill) a horrendous hike, up the hill either from Ecclesall road/ hunters bar, or from the 22 bus terminus. ( I say horrendous, as that area has a lot of pensioner's flats and it's difficult for the elderly residents to trek from the bus stops of the more regular services.

The only area with this issue is where the 252 goes - the 47, 48, 51 and 79/79A serves the rest of the area.

Perhaps as an experiment the 252 needs enhancing and in addition to the existing buses that run through via Ridgeway to Crystal Peaks there should be extra buses that terminate at Gleadless Townened.

So for example from town you would have a bus every 15 mins like:

xx:00 to Crystal Peaks

xx:15 to Gleadless Townend

xx:30 to Crystal Peaks

xx:45 to Gleadless Townend

with the half hourly Gleadless service continuing into the evening after the Crystal Peaks service finishes.

Although I do find it a bit poor that Ridgeway gets no buses evenings or Sundays.

The trouble is for anything like this to happen it would require a bus operator to take a very big commercial risk and for people to support the service as local authorities no longer have any money to subsidise such a service.

• 4 months later...

The 51 used to go up Hurlfield Hill and terminated on Norton Avenue, more or less opposite the Florists. Then its route was extended and terminated at the top of Leighton Rd near the old Peoples home

Archived