What's the plan for civil partnerships once gay marriage is legalised?

What's the plan for civil partnerships once gay marriage is legalised? Would there be any point in retaining them or were they just a bit of socio-legal lube along the path to allowing full marriage for gays?

I bet those couples who held a full blow out and went on a honeymoon for their civil partnerships will be a bit miffed if they end up having to go through it all again just to get the certificate with the word Married on it. I wonder if those already in a civil partnership will automatically get their status changed to married.

Is there any difference between civil partnership and marriage?

I think I read that couples who want to can change their civil partnership to a marriage, I don't think another ceremony is required.

The main difference between a civil partnership ceremony and a marriage is that a marriage can be held in a church and a civil partnership ceremony cannot. In that sense it is a more secular.

I remember reading an article a bit back about straight couples who wanted to have a civil partnership, but are not permitted to. Maybe all couples should be allowed to choose between a civil partnership or a marriage?

I don't see any point in maintaining civil partnerships once all are allowed to marry.

I thought heterosexual couples could have a civil partnership.My wife and I are going to try one this summer.

I thought heterosexual couples could have a civil partnership.My wife and I are going to try one this summer.

Who with?:suspect:

What would be the advantage in doing that? How do the benefits and rights of civil partnership differ from those of marriage?

I was under the impression that civil partnership would wither and be abolished once all adults were allowed to marry.

What would be the advantage in doing that? How do the benefits and rights of civil partnership differ from those of marriage?

I was under the impression that civil partnership would wither and be abolished once all adults were allowed to marry.

A civil partnership has many of marriages advantages but has a different legal basis over such issues as consummation.

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 22:42 ----------

Who with?:suspect:

We don't know until we reach the resort unless we spot them at the airport on the way out.

I don't see any point in maintaining civil partnerships once all are allowed to marry.

What if those people in Civil partnerships are satisfied with that arrangement,not all gay people would have chosen to marry in a church even if it had been legal.Now it is going to be legal they will have a choice,but that doesn't mean every member of the clergy in the church will be obliged to marry them,because like the gay community,the church will be divided on the gay marriage issue with some very much in favour and some not.

Anyone know what happened to the gay marriage thread. ?

Deleted i guess.

What if those people in Civil partnerships are satisfied with that arrangement,not all gay people would have chosen to marry in a church even if it had been legal.Now it is going to be legal they will have a choice,but that doesn't mean every member of the clergy in the church will be obliged to marry them,because like the gay community,the church will be divided on the gay marriage issue with some very much in favour and some not.

Perhaps supportive churches will display pink flag?

Or they could choose to marry, just not in a church

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 10:20 ----------

As far as I'm aware, no they can't. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it is. You can have a civil ceremony, which is not the same thing.

As I don't think it has been posted here is the proposed bill:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2012-2013/0126/cbill_2012-20130126_en_1.htm

... and its current progress:

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2012-13/marriagesamesexcouplesbill.html

As per section 9 it would appear that people already in a civil partnership will have the option of converting their status to married. What will happen once, or if, the bill is passed to whether or not civil partnerships will still be an option for couples rather than marriage is not quite clear (from a cursory read anyway).

jb