Should politicians have an opinion on everything?

Tony

Spouting off about things they don't know about  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Spouting off about things they don't know about

• They should say nowt
    • They should get back with the answer
    • They should make out they have all the facts at their fingertips

Is it a modern thing that politicians have to have an opinion on everything?

Should politicians be expected to have an opinion, or should they be wise enough to say "I don't know, I'll find out and get back to you".

For example, this morning, BBC Radio Sheffield hauled the poor old/young Councillor Jack Scott onto the radio to tell us that the gritters did the same job last night & this morning that they did during the last snowfall.

Clearly this is totally untrue. We all know it if we've been outside today.

But nevertheless he felt it necessary to have an opinion, an expert opinion no less, on a topic that he is ignorant on. We can't expect him to be an expert because there's no way that he can have all the knowledge, but he still trots out the opinion.

I'm really not picking on this particular councillor but his ridiculous performance this morning was symptomatic of a much wider malaise of politicos of all persuasions, from Parliament to Parish.

Would we appreciate a bit more admitted ignorance from politicians?

Edited by Tony

i think it depends on the situation - if someone is notified in advance that they are going to be asked about a particular issue, you would expect them to make enquiries beforehand and be genned up

if they are asked without prior notice i would have no issue with a councillor/MP saying something along the lines of "i have no idea, but if you want me to, i will find out" - i know in private they do, but i suspect in the media they don't want to appear clueless or admit to ignorance

i think it depends on the situation - if someone is notified in advance that they are going to be asked about a particular issue, you would expect them to make enquiries beforehand and be genned up

if they are asked without prior notice i would have no issue with a councillor/MP saying something along the lines of "i have no idea, but if you want me to, i will find out" - i know in private they do, but i suspect in the media they don't want to appear clueless or admit to ignorance

Exactly. If they're invited on a provide an update on an issue then they should ensure they find out what the situation. If they get blindsided about something else then if they don't know then they should say so.