The Warriors (1979)- Still as good today?

Electerrific

This film, set in a future New York but based upon the true story of Greek warriors trapped behind Persian lines, caused controversy back in 1979 for it's violent portrayal of US gangs wrongly hunting one gang (the Warriors) as they escape the city, for a gang slaying at a meeting. Real life killings in cinemas were ascribed to it's influence.

But, I watched it again lastnight, trying to like it as much now as I did back then, but it all seemed really tame and quite unconvincing. It was hard to believe that many of the gang members (many real gangs were involved in the cast- and one 'protected' the crew) were 'tough'- or even got into gangs in the first place?

Still, iconic film.

This film, set in a future New York but based upon the true story of Greek warriors trapped behind Persian lines, caused controversy back in 1979 for it's violent portrayal of US gangs wrongly hunting one gang (the Warriors) as they escape the city, for a gang slaying at a meeting. Real life killings in cinemas were ascribed to it's influence.

But, I watched it again lastnight, trying to like it as much now as I did back then, but it all seemed really tame and quite unconvincing. It was hard to believe that many of the gang members (many real gangs were involved in the cast- and one 'protected' the crew) were 'tough'- or even got into gangs in the first place?

Still, iconic film.

I watched it last week. The plot is very basic, and it goes on far to long. Bad editing - but the 'baldies' gang are quite funny.

I can understand your confusion. Both were gang movies. The Baldies were in "The Wanderers" with that huge lump of a bloke -- called Terror, I think (a role model if ever I saw one).

Up to speed. Thank you. That 'Terror' bloke looked cool and played in a few films. Playing a fat bloke with a bald head. I wonder what the other films he played in?

Yeah, that big fat baldie was in the Wanderers, also as 'Brewburger' or something in Stir Crazy?

He was Dynamo in Running Man, Erland Van Lidth; he is sadly dead now but The Warriors is a cult classic.

The main characters were Swan, Snow, Ajax, Fox, Cochise, Cowboy, Vermin, Rembrandt (RIP), Cleon, brilliant cult film I absolutely love it. It features the meeting of gangs 9 of each gang, no weapons who meet, the meeting lead by Cyrus (Gramercy Riffs) who is killed by Luther and the Warriors are blamed.

They have to "bop" their way back to Coney Island.