Living in Walkley

Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first house, with my partner, and we're finding that the area that we thought we might buy in (Crookes) is turning out to be slightly more expensive than we can afford. We are both graduates/professionals in our early thirties. No children yet but hoping to have a couple in the future. Is Walkley likely to suit us instead?

Thanks for any help! I've had a walk around the area and it seems a safe and friendly area, I'm just not very familiar with 'past Crookes' so not sure if it is a place I might feel at home...?

Yes. In general: the further up the hill, the more desirable.

Ta, which roads are 'up the hill'? When I visited I drove through Crookes and seemed to go down a hill from there to Walkley!

Walkley goes all the way down to Langsett Road, so although Walkley is generally downhill from Crookes, it's uphill compared to Hillsborough, Netherthorpe and other surrounding areas :)

I'm not a believer in the 'uphill is better' rule with Walkley though- I never had any problems with some of the lower parts.

Guest sibon
Ta, which roads are 'up the hill'? When I visited I drove through Crookes and seemed to go down a hill from there to Walkley!

If you can't find a hill in Walkley... :)

In general, the nearer you can get to Crookes, the nicer the houses seem to be. But Walkley always strikes me as a lovely place.

Hi,Ive lived around walkley all my life. It depends on how much you want to spend.

Lower Walkley is lovely, Thats the bit that runs from Bole Hill road down to Rivelin Valley. A lot of Semis and Some new builds.

Futher up around South Road Tends to be cheaper. A lot of Terraced houses, and some huge properties on the roads leading off South Road.

Walkley is fine, Not many problems, people are friendly enough, and Easy access to most places.

Not to mention the views and the walks down rivelin.:) you'ld be welcome:)

If you can't find a hill in Walkley... :)

In general, the nearer you can get to Crookes, the nicer the houses seem to be. But Walkley always strikes me as a lovely place.

believe me, I'm a bit geographically challenged... would parsonage crescent be a good road?

Guest sibon
believe me, I'm a bit geographically challenged... would parsonage crescent be a good road?

I'd imagine so. It is nice down there. Steep, but nice:)

parsonage crescent is a lovely road.

Its nice but it is a busy rat run at times.

Its nice but it is a busy rat run at times.

Yes, I'd have said that it's a rat run, and particularly if you have cats, I'd avoid somewhere as busy as Parsonage.

The bits near the council estate towards Langsett Road, are not so good. We started to have a lot of trouble on our once lovely road.