Living in Walkley

How's lower Walkley area, just south of Ruskin Park (towards Blake Street)?

I don't actually live in Walkley but it sometimes feels like I do with the amount of work I have done there over the years! I love the area it always seems to be very peaceful during the day and I have met some very nice people there.

Edited by Topspace

How's lower Walkley area, just south of Ruskin Park (towards Blake Street)?

I'd say you'd be fine. I've lived near Ruskin Park for 4 1/2 years and its been fine. Had a wing mirror broken on the car once but that could have happened anywhere. Also, had something metal taken from the back garden but that is a problem in the whole of Sheffield and the country. No real problems with kids etc. although the park is a bit of a magnet for groups during the summer hols. Never felt unsafe around here and seems to be a good sense of community. There is a festival in the park in the summer and a good array of shops on South Road. As an added bonus the local pub is great!

Hello,

We moved to Walkley 7 months ago from a nice house in a nice part of Nether Edge & I'm SO pleased to be here on the hill! We chose this area because we wanted a good garden. We're on the Rivelin side of Walkley & it feels like really villagey - in a nice way, also we can walk to Rivelin valley in 5mins & walk to the city centre in less than half an hour. I consider myself middle class but I love that Walkley doesn't have the snotty middle class pretentiousness as Nether Edge. There's a nice mix of people here & the sky & the views are amazing. We live near Walkley Crescent Rd, it's very quiet & there are lots of lovely stone terraces, some with gardens, some with views. The local school for this end of Walkley is Rivelin Primary which I have heard good things about from friends with children in Infants. No idea about the juniors though. Kids seem happy when I go past. I've not heard such nice things about Walkley Primary but it's probably fine. Move here!

---------- Post added 02-03-2013 at 20:47 ----------

BTW I walk up Parsonage Crescent all the time. I think it's a nice street & the house for sale on it at the mo looks lovely! It is an access route into this bit of Walkley but it's not exactly a main road.

We're S6 and our kids went to Westways and then King Teds.
Which part of S6? S6 goes all the way past Bradfield to the Derbyshire border.

If you check the city council website and compare it to a postcode map, you'll see that only a tiny tiny part of S6 is in the Westways and King Teds catchment. Approximately the area south of Bole Hill Road/Industry Street and west of Ruskin/Birkendale.

Which part of S6? S6 goes all the way past Bradfield to the Derbyshire border.

If you check the city council website and compare it to a postcode map, you'll see that only a tiny tiny part of S6 is in the Westways and King Teds catchment. Approximately the area south of Bole Hill Road/Industry Street and west of Ruskin/Birkendale.

The area to the E / NE of Barber Road is S6.

living on walkley bank road, looking out over allotments means i get a great view, people tell me our road is a rat run but living here i can say its not as bad as anyone says. its busy for about 2 hrs a day. apart from that its a ghost town.

Thanks for all the help. We've had an offer accepted on a house in the rivelin bit of Walkley so hope to be joining you all up there soon! We currently live in Fulwood but I'm looking forward to a change of scenery.

Can anyone tell me about the roads down off South Road like Hoole Street, Insustry Road ect.

Are these safe? Good houses? Any trouble?

Thank you

I live just off Bole hill on Rangeley Rd & love it! but not so in the bad weather when everyone fights for a space on bole hill :(

I have friends that live on streets off South Road and they are very happy there : )