Car insurance for a 17 year old

Hi All

Our daughter is wanting a Mini car for when she passes her test. We have been told that the insurance will be extremely high as she will only be 17 years old.

I therefore tried to insure her for my car as a learner but they wouldn't do this due to the size of the engine 1.6 but as it is old I thought we could do this, 52 plate.

Has anyone insured their daughter for a mini and if so could you let me know how much it cost and who with please. She is so set on having a Mini and is learning in one so it would make sense to buy her one. We are only looking to buy one at around £5000 so really don't want the insurance to be OTT

Thanks Di :)

I'll be the first person to help you.

Don't bother. It's a silly idea. Buy her a cheap rubbish car, and even then insuring her will be expensive.

If you can afford a mini for her, and the cost that comes with that ... good luck to ya.

The best advice you can take.

:)

I'll be the first person to help you.

Don't bother. It's a silly idea. Buy her a cheap rubbish car, and even then insuring her will be expensive.

If you can afford a mini for her, and the cost that comes with that ... good luck to ya.

Hi Thanks for your advice. We really don't want to buy a cheap rubbish car as our friends did this some years ago and their daughter was involved in an accident and died.

I know we can not dwell on this and even if we purchased a brand new one we couldn't guarantee that she would be ok but we can only buy what we can afford and keep our fingers crossed that it would be more substantial than an old one. Thanks for your input Di :)

:)

Hi Thanks for your advice. We really don't want to buy a cheap rubbish car as our friends did this some years ago and their daughter was involved in an accident and died.

I know we can not dwell on this and even if we purchased a brand new one we couldn't guarantee that she would be ok but we can only buy what we can afford and keep our fingers crossed that it would be more substantial than an old one. Thanks for your input Di :)

I think you are confusing cheap and rubbish with unsafe.

You can buy smaller engined cars which may well be cheaper to insure. A Corsa or a Micra might fit the bill. A Mini will cost an arm and a leg for a new driver.

Try LV. I've just insured my 18 year old with them. Be prepared for a quote around the £2k mark.

By all means, buy her a mini, but know that it will get bumped dinged grazed and kerbed.

Better to get a cheaper car to get the damage stage of being a new driver done with, then buy the Mini.

It'll also give her a better appreciation of the mini to have driven something less nice to start with.

My opinion, your kid, your call.

Just go on gocompare / moneysupermarket / confused / comparethemarket and get a quote, it'll be an accurate quote as opposed to some random strangers guessing.

You'll want to put yourself on as a named driver. Don't be tempted to insure it in your name and put her on as a named driver, this is called "fronting" it's illegal, and when the insurance company find out (which they'll probably do just as you go to claim from them, they're experts at finding ways to wiggle out of coughing up) they'll void your policy and put a black mark against you bumping your premiums for years afterwards.

Archived