Glass, Glass, everywhere!

maybe only a post that cyclist will be bothered about but in the last five/six weeks it seems that the amount of glass on our roads has become excessive. is this because the roadsweepers have been laid off??.

In that time i have had a puncture on the mountain bike(thick tyres) on four out of the seven occasions i have taken it out.

Anyone else had this problem?

maybe only a post that cyclist will be bothered about but in the last five/six weeks it seems that the amount of glass on our roads has become excessive. is this because the roadsweepers have been laid off??.

In that time i have had a puncture on the mountain bike(thick tyres) on four out of the seven occasions i have taken it out.

I haven’t seen a road sweeper for years and you’re lucky if you’ve only just started to notice the glass and crap littering our streets.

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 20:54 ----------

It's not just a pain in the backside for cyclists. For wheelchair users it can be a total nightmare, too.

Before I had solid tyres fitted to my chair, I had three punctures in four trips out! Gah!

It’s also a pain, trying to avoid it with the dog, you’re either dodging glass or dog crap.

that's always been on the pavement though, i am talking about the amounts in the gutter,which most responsible cyclists use a lot ( so cars can overtake easier). it just seems to have got a lot worse in the last few months i was wondering if it is the cutbacks.

that's always been on the pavement though, i am talking about the amounts in the gutter,which most responsible cyclists use a lot ( so cars can overtake easier). it just seems to have got a lot worse in the last few months i was wondering if it is the cutbacks.

That's where you're going wrong. Most safe cyclists, e.g. those who are following government cycle training scheme guidelines, avoid cycling in the gutter because it makes it harder for drivers to see you and also encourages bad drivers to attempt to overtake when there isn't enough room to do so safely.

4 out of 7 is unlikely to be due to glass. Though, as mentioned here-

That's where you're going wrong. Most safe cyclists, e.g. those who are following government cycle training scheme guidelines, avoid cycling in the gutter because it makes it harder for drivers to see you and also encourages bad drivers to attempt to overtake when there isn't enough room to do so safely.

as a cyclist you don't want to be riding in the gutter, not just cos of glass, but because it's unsafe to do so.

When I once started getting punctures way more than normal, it turned out there was a sharp bit of grit embedded on the inside of the tyre- every time I repaired a puncture, it just reoccurred until I realised what was happening.

It would be worth noting whereabouts the inner tube is puncturing- if it's always in the same place, you've probably got something sharp stuck inside the tyre, or maybe a damaged tyre.