Do NOT turn this into a racist slanging match please!

I don't want to get into the generalisations about whether a particular nationality don't acknowledge the fact that they have been given right of way, or whatever.

I think what happened this morning with the two girls ("about 14/15 yrs of age") would have occurred whatever race they were. Young people of that age do not drive, and are probably not aware that it is polite to acknowledge a driver who is letting them cross the road.

I never let 4 wheel drivers out no matter how far they push their noses out.

I'm soooooooo glad it's not just me who does this. Then again, I'm 4X4ist:D.

I think what happened this morning with the two girls ("about 14/15 yrs of age") would have occurred whatever race they were. Young people of that age do not drive, and are probably not aware that it is polite to acknowledge a driver who is letting them cross the road.

Common sense prevails.

Sometimes people say thanks. Sometimes they don't.

Does it really matter?

I've lived in asia and have to say that the culture of what is rude and polite is very different there. For example, in some countries there's not so much of a fixation on 'personal space' - ie, getting too close to someone standing in a lift or whatever. So some asians, especially if they are just visiting, will not have the same cultural norms as us and will not realise if they are being rude - just the same as watching westerners making cringing social faux pas in asia!

However if the girls you're talking about were 14/15 chances are they're just young rude British school kids! :hihi:

i don't drive so cannot comment, but I find a dilema when i am allowed to cross with my kids by drivers...do i wave, do I smile? On more than one occasion it has ended up as a mess of both so I just make sure we get across the road quickly so the driver can get on their way :blush:

Well to be honest, as a driver its always nice to get an acknowledgement whenever we allow a car to pull out, or a pedestrian to cross the road.

In my experience, I can pick out a particular ethnic group who are 'rude' so to speak.

I've even had old Somali women wave thanks for letting them cross the road, so I think its just down to individual's really, and whether they've had a bad day or not, or indeed whether they are generally grumpy etc.

I think as max said, its also a perception issue whereby if we tend to have an experience several times we can sometimes draw the wrong conclussions.

However now you've started this, I'm sure it will be picked up by Messiers Griffin & Co and will find its way into some party political manifesto! (only kidding)

Z

I remember going to one of the greek islands about 25 years ago and commenting to the taxi driver how polite and curtious the taxi drivers were... They always held up their hand to wave to foreign drivers etc.

He burst out laughing and explained that when someone showed you the palm of their hand it was the same as sticking 2 fingers up over here!

:blush: erm... I seem to remember smiling and 'waving' back a few times. Ooops.

DaBouncer,

Sorry if i'm repeating anyone here (I havne't read the whole lot). I find, again, not being racist, that asians IN GENERAL show their gratitude less.

This isn't to say they're not grateful, just that they don't show it the same way we do. I suppose this is probably a cultural thing. Even those brought up in England, who's parents were brought up in Asia, will still have Asian culture etc.

I think this is just that we English are, IN GENERAL very polite! lol You wouldn't think so with today's youth but, when I go to France, or speak to French friends they are forever telling me to quit with the 'merci'!

I was taught by a French teacher, and have experienced while being in France that the French say thankyou once and dinner time and that is enough. To keep on saying it just bugs them. I suppose this may be the same with Asians.

I don't know this is just my (possibly very inaccurate) theory!

However now you've started this, I'm sure it will be picked up by Messiers Griffin & Co and will find its way into some party political manifesto! (only kidding)

Z

I sincerely hope not.

I agree with you and think max is probably correct on this one.

Once you've noticed a pattern which probably doesn't exist as I have, then you start looking for it and ignore the rest - hence generalisation.

This thread was not meant to be this way inclined and I apologise to anyone who may be offended by it wholeheartedly.

I sincerely hope not.

I agree with you and think max is probably correct on this one.

Once you've noticed a pattern which probably doesn't exist as I have, then you start looking for it and ignore the rest - hence generalisation.

This thread was not meant to be this way inclined and I apologise to anyone who may be offended by it wholeheartedly.

Amen!

Its wierd how coincidences happen. I remember not so long ago I was thinking about taking a break to Iceland, all of a sudden I seem to notice loads of things on the television all about Iceland (adverts/holiday programs etc). I think these 'coincidences' occur all the time, its just that when its something we're thinking about, the coincidences tend to stand out.

Z

Archived