Ecclesfield, The Wheel 1950's

vicarry

This my first time on the Forum and I would like to try and find out about friends who I used to knock about with, as a lad, during the 1950's in and around The Wheel at Ecclesfield and the Whitley Hall Cricket Club. I have a list of names as follows:- Loise & Christine Baxter, Anne & Alan Johnson, Roger & Marylin Bamforth, Roger & Rosalie Bagshaw, Heather Turton & Brother, David Barnes & Sister, Jean Knowles, Jean Wilson, Stephanie Siddall & Sister/Brother, Jill & Christopher Parker plus Jill's pony (I think was called Bobby), Hugh Bradbury. There were also three cricket team members who I remember well and they were Ike Baxter, Ron Baxter and Herbert Frost who was the Prudential Insurance Agent for that area. I hope that somebody will know them and be able to let me know where they all ended up. I do know that Ike Baxter Died a few years ago aged 94 but during the 1940-60's he was one of the leading lights of the Whitley Hall Cricket Club.

Eighup vicarry ....welcome to S/F ..if you enter 'Ecclesfield Village' in the 'Search Forums' you may come across a few familiar names .There are some interesting posts on there..i'm originally from 'Ecco' and the Village section certainly brought back happy memories .. GUZZI :)

Thanks for that GUZZIOWL, do I take it that "The Land of Hoy" is Hoyland because many years ago, I lived at 11a Southview Road, Hoyland (it should have been 13 Southview Road but we were superstious so it became 11a). Thanks for the info.

Vicarry

Thanks for the PM GUZZIOWL, I would like to send you one back but because I am a new boy, I am not able to do it. I am interested in your place of birth because my parents lived on the same lane, they had a bungalow at the side of the PO.

This my first time on the Forum and I would like to try and find out about friends who I used to knock about with, as a lad, during the 1950's in and around The Wheel at Ecclesfield and the Whitley Hall Cricket Club. I have a list of names as follows:- Loise & Christine Baxter, Anne & Alan Johnson, Roger & Marylin Bamforth, Roger & Rosalie Bagshaw, Heather Turton & Brother, David Barnes & Sister, Jean Knowles, Jean Wilson, Stephanie Siddall & Sister/Brother, Jill & Christopher Parker plus Jill's pony (I think was called Bobby), Hugh Bradbury. There were also three cricket team members who I remember well and they were Ike Baxter, Ron Baxter and Herbert Frost who was the Prudential Insurance Agent for that area. I hope that somebody will know them and be able to let me know where they all ended up. I do know that Ike Baxter Died a few years ago aged 94 but during the 1940-60's he was one of the leading lights of the Whitley Hall Cricket Club.

Whitley Hall Cricket Club is still thriving --champions of Yorkshire, in fact-- and it is well worth looking them up on their website. Not sure if they have a page on Facebook.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi this is Jean Wilson...now living in Cheshire...would love to know who you are as I remember the rest of the gang and also remember Roy Davenport and Megan and Valery Siddall ..fond memories of playing in Wheel woods and on the cricket field.:)

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 20:35 ----------

Hi Yes I remember you well unfortunately I too have lost touch with them all. It is great to hear from you, as this is only my second post I am not able to reply privately. I too am retired and living in Helsby near to my middle daughter. And this is her laptop as I am not yet connected to the net. I only came across this by chance as my son-in -law looked up the wheel to see if he could find some photos. All the best ... Jean :)

• 2 months later...