Childminders - question about flexibility

I have a 3 year old and an 11 month old who attend a nursery part time and they are very happy there. However, due to work commitments, I need childcare for my 11 month old for another half a day a week and as they are over subscribed, it looks like the nursery won't be able to accommodate this for a while.

My question is, would a childminder be prepared to take a child for half a day a week, or would they normally want a commitment of more hours. Also, do most ask that you sig up for a minimum time period e.g. six months, or would they be prepared to take her until the nursery had space?

Have never dealt with a childminder before, so didn't want to approach one with unreasonable demands!

The best thing to do is ring a few and explain your situation. Which area are you in?

We're in Walkley. Just didn't want to risk sounding either insulting or ridiculous with an unreasonable request, so trying to work out whether it was even worth approaching someone directly!

Hi, if you contact sheffield information link they will do a search of childminders in your area and give you the information for the ones who can meet the hours you need (unless the service has changed??)

http://www.sheffinfolink.org.uk/find-childcare/

most I have found expect a full day (7 hours) minimum but I'm sure if you ring and explain the situation someone may be able to help.

e.g. mine had both for a full day a week but when DS1 starts school she has offered to have him for just the 2 and a half hours after school that I need (even tho out of her normal pick ups) becuase she loves them to bits and I'd have to take DS2 somewhere else due to locations.

so there is definatly flexability if you find the right one.

my childminders circle do a lot of activities tho in holidays which may put them off having a half-day child as it means the other children with that childminder miss out as they can't go to e.g. wentworth castle because of your hours.

Ive recently just given up childminding as I've purchased Kidz kingdom play & party centre in S20 but I was more than flexible the the children I looked after therefore I, as a childminder, had I had space on the day required I would have done an as & when contract. I wouldn't have agree to non term time though as like previously said, once your school age children are off school they tend to be full time with said childminder & it would hinder making full day plans etc. I'm sure as already advised, if you called a few, & got the right one there wouldn't be a problem. Then again maybe I was a little too flexible haha

Good luck xxx

Thanks victoriab. As it turned out, a space came up at the nursery, so she's going to go there for the extra afternoon.

However, we're conscious that in a year or so her big brother will be off to school and we're going to have to think about after school/holiday care for him then. Will childminders tend to take on "new" kids on this basis if they have openings, or are we likely to struggle to find someone willing to do this?

My childminder takes children purely for after/school and school holidays. To be honest I think most do as the ratios of children you can have allow childminders to have some older kids but not younger ones so it works out well for them.

My children are at a childminder and the almost 4 year old loves picking the older kids up from school/playing with them after school!

I have used several childminders and found them all to be flexible. Half a day to them should be fine if they have space and as long as you give them their minimum notice (mine have ranged from 2 to 4 weeks) to end the contract, it shouldn't matter how many months you may use them. Good luck x

Most childminders do before and after school pick up and do holiday care as well you would need to ring and talk to them go and see them before making up your mind who to go with you may need to pay a retainer for the place to be kept open till your child starts i would start looking a good few months before you need the space.

Thanks victoriab. As it turned out, a space came up at the nursery, so she's going to go there for the extra afternoon.

However, we're conscious that in a year or so her big brother will be off to school and we're going to have to think about after school/holiday care for him then. Will childminders tend to take on "new" kids on this basis if they have openings, or are we likely to struggle to find someone willing to do this?

I had children that I only had in school holidays & other children I only dropped at school or picked up from school. A good childminder should try to help not hinder, that's their job after all.