Friends from basegreen

hi echo beach, wifey tells me that pete's sister still lives on Lister Way

I lived on lister drive no 10 from 1953 to 1967.

Family names I recall

Lister cres., Slinn always had great teddy boy outfits

Gower lost boy in an accident at Millhouses lido.

Lister Drive

Hides no 14

Bendell no 23

Lister Close

Ward

Lister way

Race

Base green drive bus rout road

Fieldsend

Other names but no road reference

Hunter 2 girls Margret and Pamela

Chapman

Oates

Barry Russell

Most of these contacts were connected to St Peters youth club orvRidgeway youth club.

I lived on lister drive no 10 from 1953 to 1967.

Family names I recall

Lister cres., Slinn always had great teddy boy outfits

Gower lost boy in an accident at Millhouses lido.

Lister Drive

Hides no 14

Bendell no 23

Lister Close

Ward

Lister way

Race

Base green drive bus rout road

Fieldsend

Other names but no road reference

Hunter 2 girls Margret and Pamela

Chapman

Oates

Barry Russell

Most of these contacts were connected to St Peters youth club orvRidgeway youth club.

Hi Ray43,

I remember Slinn and his peers in their teddy boy attire at Frecheville secondary school in the '50s. They were always trying to push the boundary of acceptability when it came to school uniform and they were in the year ahead of me.

Every year each form in the school had to contribute a short performance towards the Christmas concert, most of which was admittedly dross. Slinn and his buddies, however, formed a skiffle group and performed Tom Dooley on the lines of Lonnie Donegan, who had had a recent hit with the song. It brought the house down, as they say, with rapturous applause from the pupils, much to the chagrin of the staff.

That would be Christmas 1958 and it is one of my indelible memories of my time at school.

Incidentally, did you ever know Jack Mason who lived on Lister Avenue and was tragically killed in a car crash in Germany in early 1967?

Echo

Slinny is still sciffling away he now performs Elvis Presley songs at various gigs around Sheffield.

You are referring to the frecheville secondary school. I new him when I was at the junior school.

If you see him tell him ray Matthews was asking about him.

I was in the school hall when Slinney did his performance on the stage at school, and you were right the rest of the concert was dross. We had to put on a short play, which we had to write and produce ourselves, it was terrible. Knowing the date has made me feel very old.

I was a very good friend of Jackie Mason.

---------- Post added 25-01-2013 at 21:48 ----------

Hi DIDO,

I've just noticed that in the above post you mention the Rhodes family on Lister Way. Can you shed any light on what's happened to them over the years? In particular, Pete Rhodes was a friend at school who I lost contact with many moons ago and I'd love to get in touch with him again if possible.

Echo

I believe Peter Rhodes became a Fraud Inspector for the Tax Inspectors or the Benifirts Office.

I was in the school hall when Slinney did his performance on the stage at school, and you were right the rest of the concert was dross. We had to put on a short play, which we had to write and produce ourselves, it was terrible. Knowing the date has made me feel very old.

I was a very good friend of Jackie Mason.

---------- Post added 25-01-2013 at 21:48 ----------

I believe Peter Rhodes became a Fraud Inspector for the Tax Inspectors or the Benifirts Office.

Hi DIDO,

It's amazing that you witnessed Slinn's skiffle group performance all those years ago. I was at Frecheville from '57 to '61 so probably know you.

How did you know Jack Mason; was it from school or elsewhere?

Thanks for the info on Pete Rhodes. I know that he started work as a GPO telegram boy riding the little red motorbikes and subsequently moved to the Dept of Social Security. Lost touch many moons ago and would like to re-establish contact if possible.

Echo

just using whats left of the old brain to remember some more names from the estate, most would be 60s/70s.

Bernard Stratford

Dave Skelton,

Antony (deaf lad)

Brian Chapman,

The Christopher sisters (basegreen Dr)

Janet Goodison,

Neville (?) Rod Stewart haircut!

Doug Fisher

Steve Cuthbertson

John Howarth

Keith Stokes

Janet, Gary & Tracy Hewitt

Ray Elshaw

Phil Hinchliffe

Glynis Johns

Barbara Piggin

Tim Taylor (went to Ibiza I think)

Anita Davies

Martyn Todd

Neil Havenhand

Richard & Pat Butler

Judith Haywood

I'll keep thinking!

Kath still lives on arbourthorne and has 3 sons,her brother ray lives at gleadless and her sister janet lives at gleadless.janets son is my son in law.

I lived on old houses on seagrave crescent but remember some of the names you mentioned.

Kath still lives on arbourthorne and has 3 sons,her brother ray lives at gleadless and her sister janet lives at gleadless.janets son is my son in law.

I lived on old houses on seagrave crescent but remember some of the names you mentioned.

Hi, Thanks for that. I remember Janet repairing a pair of trousers for me when I had taken the knee out of them!. Say hello to them all for me. Mike.

Maurice passed away 2 years ago and agnes is now in an old peoples home and not to well at moment.

My husband -- Paul Liversidge lived on Jaunty Ave. Brother Stephen and sister Janice.