2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Having cycled up Jawbone Hill this lunchtime, Mark Cavendish and the rest of the Omega Pharma-Quick Step Team came past. Managed to tag on to the back of them for a short while.

It's a bit like going to your local park and seeing Messi and Ronaldo having a kick about and you joining in.

Roll on Sunday.

How would you know that? It'll bring tens of thousands into the city, give people a day out to see one of the world's greatest sporting events and hundreds of millions will see it broadcast around the world. It will also be a showpiece for the moaners, a chance to show that Sheffielders can whinge with the best of them.

I'm sure footage of T'Cross, Shirecliffe and Burngreave being broadcast to the world will really elevate the city in the public perception.

On the plus side the entrepreneurs will be able to stick for sale signs on the derelict cars and sofas in their front gardens. Sales of tarpaulins to cover the stolen goods are set go through the roof.

I'm sure footage of T'Cross, Shirecliffe and Burngreave being broadcast to the world will really elevate the city in the public perception.

On the plus side the entrepreneurs will be able to stick for sale signs on the derelict cars and sofas in the front gardens. Sales of tarpaulins to cover the stolen goods are set go through the roof.

You do know the cameras will generally be pointed at the cyclists and not the houses, don't you?

You do know the cameras will generally be pointed at the cyclists and not the houses, don't you?

So how exactly does it showcase Sheffield?

So how exactly does it showcase Sheffield?

I used the word "generally". When they do shows bits of the scenery they arent going to show rows of decrepit terraced houses, are they?

If you had watched TdF at any point in your life, you would actually know this :rolleyes:

I used the word "generally". When they do shows bits of the scenery they arent going to show rows of decrepit terraced houses, are they?

If you had watched TdF at any point in your life, you would actually know this :rolleyes:

So what you were saying is irrelevant. The world will see the delights of of T'Cross, Shirecliffe and Burngreave.

Actually I have seen rather a lot of the Tour de France. I have also riden up Mont Ventoux and several of the other climbs. Have you ever seen the tour or does your expertise come from watching the TV?

So what you were saying is irrelevant. The world will see the delights of of T'Cross, Shirecliffe and Burngreave.

Actually I have seen rather a lot of the Tour de France. I have also riden up Mont Ventoux and several of the other climbs. Have you ever seen the tour or does your expertise come from watching the TV?

Went to Paris for the 2008 finish. Next question?

Went to Paris for the 2008 finish. Next question?

So how does The Champs Elyses compare with Burngreave?

So how does The Champs Elyses compare with Burngreave?

You are totally missing my point. Think of the end of a TdF stage when the cameras show aerial shots, they are hardly going to be showing aerial shots of Herries Road and Page Hall, are they now?

Its the last few KM of a stage, there will be barely any scope for "atmospheric" camera shots as the race goes through Sheffield. If you seriously, seriously think they are going to pan in on rows of terraced housing, you need help.

If you seriously, seriously think they are going to pan in on rows of terraced housing, you need help.

If you seriously, seriously think they are not going to pan in on rows of terraced housing, you need help.

Is the route signposted does anyone know?

Especially from Hillsborough onwards