Free local travel for some!

The Travelogue magazine, which dropped on my mat this morning, states that from April 1 2006 (I trust it isn't a joke) the production of a senior citizen's pass or mobility pass will ensure free travel on local buses in South Yorkshire. There is an after 9.30am restriction clause on weekdays.

Yes, it was a promise of the Labour government that all pensioners would get free off-peak local bus travel, and that is when it comes into effect.

Sounds like from what you are saying SYPTE have chosen to apply that to Mobility pass holders too.

However the concessionary fare will still be payable on trains, and possibly trams too.

The article does go on to say: "The Transport Executive are looking at proposals that would extend the free travel offer to cover these aspects of public transport:

* Local train travel

* Tram travel in Sheffield

* Travel after 9am on weekdays for S/c, and

* All day travel for Mobility Pass holders.

Originally posted by CHAIRBOY

The article does go on to say: "The Transport Executive are looking at proposals that would extend the free travel offer to cover these aspects of public transport:

* Local train travel

* Tram travel in Sheffield

* Travel after 9am on weekdays for S/c, and

* All day travel for Mobility Pass holders.

If the PTE and operators (bus/rail/tram) agree terms to these additional terms this is NOT funded by Central government and has to funded out of Local district Council Taxes.I think one of the questions to ask is how is it going to be monitered by the Pte is it trust the operator or does a Zero Fare ticket have to issued so the PTE gets a head count on passenger numbers?

Personally I don't think it should be extended, except possibly for pensioners to use trams.

I hold a Mobility pass myself, and I have that because for medical reasons I do not drive. However, I do have a job and earn a living, so I cannot see any justification for my bus travel to be further subsidises. As a council tax payer I would not like to see my tax bill go up to pay for it either.

I would also argue that for pensioners, bus travel is often depended upon to get to the doctors, shops etc, so is essential. However local trains is generally an optional leisure trip, so is not essential, therefore for that reason taxpayers should not be subsidising free travel. In any case, I'm sure most pensioners will agree 80p return is not a high price to pay for a day out to Barnsley or Doncaster.

Originally posted by silverknight

I think one of the questions to ask is how is it going to be monitered by the Pte is it trust the operator or does a Zero Fare ticket have to issued so the PTE gets a head count on passenger numbers?

The exising passenger surveys I guess!

Don't forget these free passes are for anyone over 60 years old which to my mind is plain stupid when men are still working and do not draw their pension until they are 65. Why should we have to pay extra council tax etc. to pay for these people travelling too and from work for free.

Originally posted by Andy C

Personally I don't think it should be extended, except possibly for pensioners to use trams.

I hold a Mobility pass myself, and I have that because for medical reasons I do not drive. However, I do have a job and earn a living, so I cannot see any justification for my bus travel to be further subsidises. As a council tax payer I would not like to see my tax bill go up to pay for it either.

I would also argue that for pensioners, bus travel is often depended upon to get to the doctors, shops etc, so is essential. However local trains is generally an optional leisure trip, so is not essential, therefore for that reason taxpayers should not be subsidising free travel. In any case, I'm sure most pensioners will agree 80p return is not a high price to pay for a day out to Barnsley or Doncaster.

Could they not have spent the £1.5 million they are using to replace the shelters in town on the subsidies for tram and train?Or sack many of the cleaning staff and security they have wondering around the bus station everyday?