Do you 'feel' part of your community?

In where you maybe live or work? do you feel part of the district or any kind of strong identification with a particular group / area / religion or even cult?

Do any of you 'feel' part of the SF community or just feel like another pointless poster?

Joining in a thread with the posters so far on here, am I know part of the Troll Community?

I stopped feeling like part of the community here when I lost the patience to read all the moaning, squabbling, insults and put downs

I'm not a miserable git, but far too many people on here now are

I blame the demise of the local pub. Old moaning gits who should be nursing half a bitter in the corner of the local all afternoon seem to have found their way here en masse

Edited by Strix

I stopped feeling like part of the community here when I lost the patience to read all the moaning, squabbling, insults and put downs

I'm not a miserable git, but far too many people on here now are

I blame the demise of the local pub. Old moaning hits who should be nursing half a bitter in the corner of the local all afternoon seem to have found their way here en masse

tch, miserable git

:D

My community - yes in a way as I do a lot of voluntary work where I live, as well as teaching a course in the area. On here? Nope, I find it cliquey and if you do make a comment on a thread, someone will pull you down for your thoughts, beliefs, or if all else fails, your spelling!

I feel a part of various communities.

On SF I sometimes feel part of the community. But then things happen like today where my post about 'Silencing being a part of social control and that in a democracy the importance of being able to discuss all subjects is essential', was deleted with no comment, then, I think it is not a community, and the exercise is futile. It strikes me as ironic that a post about Silencing the general population was deleted without trace. I sometimes think SF is a worthwhile activity, but not always. It seems that a well argued, polite post should not be deleted without comment, and defeats the purpose of debate.

---------- Post added 08-12-2012 at 17:49 ----------

We could all use our professional status to pull rank to 'win' an argument and have the last word. But it defeats the purpose of engaging in argument and debate. And it prioritises the view of the professional over the experience of society. SF is clearly not a medical forum and if someone seriously wanted an informed medical view they would contact one of the many medical sources. Sheffield Forum is a city wide view where people get a community response. This is equally valid. People should not be able to pull rank based on their professional status. It defeats the purpose of community debate.

I feel a part of various communities.

On SF I sometimes feel part of the community. But then things happen like today where my post about 'Silencing being a part of social control and that in a democracy the importance of being able to discuss all subjects is essential', was deleted with no comment, then, I think it is not a community, and the exercise is futile. It strikes me as ironic that a post about Silencing the general population was deleted without trace. I sometimes think SF is a worthwhile activity, but not always. It seems that a well argued, polite post should not be deleted without comment, and defeats the purpose of debate.

---------- Post added 08-12-2012 at 17:49 ----------

We could all use our professional status to pull rank to 'win' an argument and have the last word. But it defeats the purpose of engaging in argument and debate. And it prioritises the view of the professional over the experience of society. SF is clearly not a medical forum and if someone seriously wanted an informed medical view they would contact one of the many medical sources. Sheffield Forum is a city wide view where people get a community response. This is equally valid. People should not be able to pull rank based on their professional status. It defeats the purpose of community debate.

Ar you saying that professionals or other rigorous analysts may not overwhelm those people whom they oppose those people who may be posting harmful comments such as the perpetuation of certain fallacies and dangerous stereotypes.If that is the case the forum will morph into an online version of Loose Women.

I am not obsessed about parking charges or counting pot-holes, so no I'm not part of the "community"

I have been a part of many communities, all quite diverse in character and i usually feel part of them,but i don't like it when there is a clique circle attached to the community that results in the action of making other people feel excluded.I think its better to keep a little distance from the group for that reason.