A Problem Promoting Sheffield ?

Has Sheffield A Problem Promoting Itself ?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Has Sheffield A Problem Promoting Itself ?

• Yes
    • No

I realise that you're just defending your coleagues in the planning department but you are simply wrong. The lay out and standard of the roads in Sheffield in considerably poorer than most other urban centres of comparable size in the UK.

Whilst you are sitting in your office "planning" your days away, I am driving around 30,000 busines miles a year, visiting the likes of Nottingham, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester etc. etc. All of which are more accessible to the car user. It's not my opinion that is "ill informed, negative rubbish". It is your own.

As I have previously stated elsewhere, on the 2.5 miles stretch of the A61 between the junction of Fox Hill Road and Shalesmoor roundabout there are 32 sets of traffic lights.

How can this be justifiable on one of the main arterial routes in and out of a major city, especially one that leads to the M1?

Two Sunday nights ago, I went to collect my son from the town center at 11:30 PM. The weather conditions were fine and the traffic was light, yet my average speed for the journey was 12.8 MPH.

This was solely because of traffic lights. If 12.8 MPH is the maximum speed that can be achieved on a Sunday night, can you imagine what it is during the peak travelling times?

Brilliant post!!!! :D

In my former life i also travelled 70k miles per annum as a rep, and the city centres of Leeds, Notts and Manc are all well sign posted and easy to navigate. Please note this was in the days of A-Z's, not a no brainer sat nav to do your bidding. Penistone Road with its numerous traffic lights, pot-holes, and varying speed limits (with added camera's) is a pitiful road to travel on, yet again, an artery road to the city, badly designed and not "updated" over generations.

---------- Post added 29-11-2012 at 21:08 ----------

http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/dms-connect/search?dms=13&c1=front&GroupId=2&venue=1581195

"By Road:

Follow signs from Sheffield city centre.

By Public Transport:

Walk to Sheffield high street, follow pedestrian signs from supertram stop.

Parking : free

Accessible by Public Transport : 2 miles (3.2 kms) from Sheffield station"

The above is Very poor information about travelling to Kelham Island Museum, questions like which tram stop do you get off at , which tram or bus route etc etc ? :(

Sheffield city centre is classed as the Town Hall but you wont find any signs their :huh:

This website was paid for by the tax-payer. Ive no idea how much it cost, but it does Sheffield a great dis-service.

Brilliant post!!!! :D

In my former life i also travelled 70k miles per annum as a rep, and the city centres of Leeds, Notts and Manc are all well sign posted and easy to navigate. Please note this was in the days of A-Z's, not a no brainer sat nav to do your bidding. Penistone Road with its numerous traffic lights, pot-holes, and varying speed limits (with added camera's) is a pitiful road to travel on, yet again, an artery road to the city, badly designed and not "updated" over generations.

I agree about Penistone Road. The sooner they build a dual carriageway to bypass Penistone Road from here; http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.412236&lon=-1.494177&z=16.7&r=0&src=msa

to here; http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.395802&lon=-1.486185&z=16.7&r=0&src=msa (where the cross hairs are) following the line of the railway track, the better the access from the north of the city to the centre will be.

I realise that you're just defending your coleagues in the planning department but you are simply wrong. The lay out and standard of the roads in Sheffield in considerably poorer than most other urban centres of comparable size in the UK.

Whilst you are sitting in your office "planning" your days away, I am driving around 30,000 busines miles a year, visiting the likes of Nottingham, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester etc. etc. All of which are more accessible to the car user. It's not my opinion that is "ill informed, negative rubbish". It is your own.

As I have previously stated elsewhere, on the 2.5 miles stretch of the A61 between the junction of Fox Hill Road and Shalesmoor roundabout there are 32 sets of traffic lights.

How can this be justifiable on one of the main arterial routes in and out of a major city, especially one that leads to the M1?

You're right in so far that Sheffield does not have as many high capacity roads as some comparable cities. That's because in the heyday of road building, car ownership and usage levels around here were comparatively low, so we didn't need them. So, we don't have as many dual carriageway roads as some. You may or may not feel that is a good thing, depending on what might have had to be demolished to build them.

Hmm. Nottingham, that very car friendly town where they tax employers parking spaces, but they aren't anti-car of course. And, their Council charges for on-street parking 7 days a week and in the evenings, but it's all very car friendly.

Leeds, that very car accessible city, yes I recall joining the morning peak queue on the M1 to get in there at around Wakefield! I've also seen and heard plenty of adverse comments about their "unfathomable" road system and spent a few entertaining times trying to navigate it myself.

Manchester are in the planning stage of some very interesting bus priority schemes which will see general traffic diverted off some of the major city centre routes. I'm advised they are also looking to cut off through traffic using the city centre, just like they do here. Again, Council charges for on street parking 7 days a week and in evenings.

Birmingham you might well expect to be more car friendly as it was the centre of the UK motor industry after all. They have their share of pedestrianised areas and traffic management though, just as all major cities do.

The traffic lights are there for a purpose, to allow vehicles to get onto the main road from side roads or to let pedestrians cross safely. The Council get criticised when they block off side roads, in order to minimise delays and they get criticised again when they leave them open. They can't win. I've seen plenty of cities with just as many traffic lights as they have here and some of them are in the list you made.

You can spout all you want about parking charges etc. A quote details of other cities policies, but rather than doing it from behind a desk, I suggest you do what myself and “Green” do, week in, week out and experience it in the real world.

Compared to other urban centres, Sheffield is a nightmare to access by car.

Whichever way you cut it 32 sets of lights on a major access route into the city is ridiculous.

There has to be something unique and impressive about the city before you can promote it properly.

Just tell the tourists that the A61 traffic lights are the Blackpool illuminations of South Yorkshire ;)

You can spout all you want about parking charges etc. A quote details of other cities policies, but rather than doing it from behind a desk, I suggest you do what myself and “Green” do, week in, week out and experience it in the real world.

Compared to other urban centres, Sheffield is a nightmare to access by car.

Whichever way you cut it 32 sets of lights on a major access route into the city is ridiculous.

I do get around and see other places thanks and I have worked in other places. My evaluation is that the number of traffic signals is no different here to elsewhere, they are a factor of modern life.

It's always difficult to compare like with like because no two routes in different towns / cities wil have exactly the same developments / attractors on them adn traffic levels / pedestrian flows will be different, so you can't make a straight comparison. Signals cost money and so tend to be put in because they are needed.

Edited by Planner1