Edward Street Flats - memories and perceptions

Hi everyone. I’m doing some research into Edward Street Flats at the moment and was hoping that people on here might be willing to share their thoughts, memories and perceptions of the area. I’ve had a few walks around the flats and spoken to one or two of the locals (one of which had been living there for 56 years!!).

I’m quite interested in how people use the internal space to play, whether it is locals our outsiders who use it and whether the flats have community groups and societies who arrange events and keep the community together. I’m also interested in whether people knew that the park in the middle provides a public right of way through the flats. I certainly didn’t realise this until the other day. It actually provides a handy shortcut from Netherthorpe into town.

One other thing I was interested in is how the structure of the community has changed over the years. One lady has told me that there are a growing number of people from ethnic minorities and students living in the estate. Also, can anyone shed any light on the proportion of flats which have been bought be their tenants and are now in private ownership.

Thank you to everyone in advance for sharing your thoughts and memories with me.

I think the flats look really nice design wise, and the ones I've seen for sale look spacious and well layed out, seem to be around the 100k range for a 3 bedroom so not particularly cheap, which makes me think perhaps more students are living in them. I know they're next to lots of student halls so bound to be noisy at times. Had a walk through and most of the kids and mothers in the playground seemed to be of south asian or somali ethnic origin. Did you know they were featured in an episode of Out of the Blue where a young family's baby had died & they tried to cover it up?

I lived on there for several years and I miss living there. I had a few friends living on there, but mostly people I'd known before we moved there.

The area was quite diverse and I got to know, slightly, a lovely African couple. I also loved to watch the Chinese people doing Tai Chi on the grassy areas early in the morning.

I only remember two bits of "trouble". One, when a police officer was walking through the flats, a lone adult voice shouted out "Bobby!" I thought if that's the worst thing they're going to shout at him, it ain't nowt. The other incident was when a student was mugged. The radio report described his attackers as "three men, one black, one Asian and one white". A lovely example of the races working together I thought.

I think that they are a fascinating design..( shame the ceilings are so low though)..built in 2 halves I was told once....hence the nightmare when you have to find an address...:confused: . never lived there but had to find a few addresses over the years

i live on here what do u want to know

Mod Note

If you wish to assist the OP with their research, please contact them via PM