Nisa @ Chapeltown need lessons in simple customer service.

Start smoking.....buying 20 always takes your spend over a fiver :)

yet another great reason to smoke

I went into Nisa at Chap for some bread and milk, as you do, went to the checkout and the new asian proprietor said I couldn't use my card unless I spent more than a 'fiwar', and I said what the chuffs a fiwar???? He said its more than £4.99 lol

In the end, I put the bread and milk down and went to Costcutter, where they speak proper English innit.

While I'm on one,I've got to say that the woman in Chap post office is the most unhelpful,rude dragon I've ever had the misfortune to cross paths with!

Will never ever spend a brass farthing in that place as long as I live.

Bit rude and racist innit?

yes irene, but isnt it all about choice these days? yes, I suppose the shopkeeper has the choice to make this rule, but he/she wont make many friends by doing so. Just imagine, sunday morning and you havent got a bit of cash in the house, but you want a paper. Do you use your card or use Nisas cash machine that charges you £1.95 to make a withdrawal or just dont get a paper? You are the customer and they rely on you to spend money. How you do this shouldnt be a problem, but to refuse a transaction is just plain rude and I agree with the OP hands down.

If you were the shopkeeper and the card transaction cost is more than the profit you make on a newspaper what would you do?

There's 3 cash machines within a minutes walk of that place, next time stop and take a tenner out.

Ideally you shouldn't pay for everything with debit card because it increases the chance some scammer will copy your details and clear your account out.

The Shell garage near my parents place were terrible for this, been done like 3 times in the last few years.

Instead of ranting on here why did'nt you write a letter of complaint to the shop owner?

Nisa stores are independently owned retail outlets operated throughout the UK.The stores, including those branded Nisa Local and Nisa Extra, are all members of independent retail consortium Nisa. A type of 'co-operative' owners group.

Retailers who offer Credit/Cash Card facilities usually have to pay one and a half percent of the transaction value to the Card operators so that is why anything purchased for less than £5 is loss making to a small shop.

Being 'not bothered' about a shopowner's bank charges shows a very limited knowledge of how retailing works today.

Is this recent experience the biggest worry in your life at the moment?

If I needed to make purchases under a fiver, I'd go to the Asda. Last time I did so, I paid by card at the self-service till, and there was no charge for doing so.

Why dont you go into Asda and try to use your card to buy a newspaper - see what happens there :roll:

Guess what? I have, and it accepts it. :suspect:

Guess what? I have, and it accepts it. :suspect:

Thats because supermarkets have massive contracts with payment merchant services and probably pay no more than a penny per transaction. They arent going to care if you buy a packet of 8p noodles and put it on a card.

Local independent shops are likely to have one terminal contracts which can range from anywhere between 10p-35p per transaction for debit card, and 1-3.5% per transaction for credit card payments (excluding Amex which will always be more than the rate for VIsa/Mastercard).

So if you have to use a card for a small value transaction, use a credit card as it costs the independent retailer less and he/she will be thankful for it.

I never really carry cash and pay by card for most things. I started doing this because I was taking £20 out of the machine for some shopping and say if I spent £14 on shopping the rest I would just fritter away and I didn't even know how. I was doing this 3 or 4 times a week so my husband said to just debit everything from now on. Also, on the plus side, transactions don't showw up on his online statement for a couple of days so if I have overspent I've got a while to sweet talk him into not being so angry :hihi:

Somewhere like OP is describing wouldn't get my business cos yep I'm one of these people who pays by card for a newspaper, even a bag of chocolate buttons for my boy in Asda the other day :o