Disabled son being bullied on tram

OMG what utter scum, what kind of world are we living in. I remember the days when the local bobby got you by the ear and dragged you home to mummy and daddy, and when doing so was terrifying !

Lazy parenting, PC gone mad, children's rights ? GET A GRIP GOVERNMENT !

I hope things have settled for him, please let us know how you get on with the police, I am sure the whole forum would like to follow this story to, hopefully, a positive conclusion !

I don't understand why 2 of you have said that this is as a result of political correctness? How is it? It is not politically correct to allow bullying! What the tram driver explained is that there is no management back-up when the staff try to deal with or report a situation.

Don't try and make this some sort of political issue. It isn't. The OP has done exactly the right thing & pressed charges, having got evidence to support them.

I am really pleased, Barts, that you've accepted the College's offer of a taxi until this is sorted out. At least you know that he'll be safe while the investigation is done. As for the wider situation, I couldn't agree more with the posters on here. We should all do what Barts has done : intervene whenever we see this sort of behaviour, not just leave it to a rant on a forum.

I don't understand why 2 of you have said that this is as a result of political correctness? How is it? It is not politically correct to allow bullying! What the tram driver explained is that there is no management back-up when the staff try to deal with or report a situation.

Don't try and make this some sort of political issue. It isn't. The OP has done exactly the right thing & pressed charges, having got evidence to support them.

I am really pleased, Barts, that you've accepted the College's offer of a taxi until this is sorted out. At least you know that he'll be safe while the investigation is done. As for the wider situation, I couldn't agree more with the posters on here. We should all do what Barts has done : intervene whenever we see this sort of behaviour, not just leave it to a rant on a forum.

Intervene? So you think a few harsh words would make these scum stop? Then what's to stop them starting on you, scum like this know they can attack you & get away with it, you defend yourself. & you're straight in court for assault on a minor, then there's the cases when those who do try intervening get attack & seriously, sometimes fatally injured. As for the police & pressing charges - this is only because the OP had refused to back down & has insisted that charges be brought & I always thought it was the polices job to gather evidence not the publics. As for making this political no this is about the idiot bleeding hearts who insist this scum act like this because they are poor, or there is nothing for them to do or another million other excuses to allow them to get away with it

I think part of the problem is that people with disabilities are excluded in many different ways. How many books, films or T.V. programmes feature people with disabilities? They are very rare and this sends out the message that they they are fundamentally different from everybody else, whereas they are no different apart from their disabilities. I was looking at the library books in the special school where I work and could not find any novels featuring children with disabilities so decided to write one myself, but no agent so far has shown any interest. I've sent it to Amazon Kindle for consideration, but even if it is accepted, it will probably be the only one in their collection.

hi just a quick update we went to moss way and spoke again to the officer dealing with my sons case .things are now moving in a good direction complaints have been logged cctv is being looked at and i now feel more possessive that the culprits will be delt with in the right way (weather it will work remains to be seen ).i really do think that the problems with society to day is that their isnt any respect for anyone let alone the police .i see gangs of youth's on shops .talking back to police my children would never ever have done that.I do believe the police have a hard job because their hands are tied because of the PC brigade and the courts .all the rights are given to the culprits not the victims .any way thats my rant for today .oh and i really must say that the officer dealing with my sons case was really nice and understanding yesterday .

i really feel sorry for you and your son,i am not surprised you feel let down by the police,who would,nt after the recent disclosure of hillsborough,savile and all the other cover ups.they only seem to be bothered about speed cameras. i would have him shadowed by his brother if possible and dont worry about it getting out of hand,once these cowards (because thats what they are) are confronted they will think twice before doing it again:rant:

People say that vigilantism isn't the way, but what if it is ?

Wouldn't these scumbags think twice if they knew that someone not connected might just get up and lamp them one, force them to live with the fear that they currently instill in their victims ?

Wouldn't vigilante action force the law into seeing that it's not doing a good enough job in enforcing the law and proventing crime, showing that through inefficient procedures and the lack of deterant isn't phasing criminals, leading them and the government to take action in making alterations to correct that ?

I can agree with that, seeing a bully being put in it's place is a fantastic sight to behold, and I'm sure the op's son would be far happier knowing he can travel safely again.

The biggest problem is, an average citizen stands up to them and 'lamps' them, all of a sudden the Police can't to enough, and will have you arrested/fined/jailed before you even finish your journey.

Similar thing happened to us, my old mans car got stolen ''CCTV footage isn't enough to go on, we can't see faces''

Old fella on the end of the road gets his garage vandalised and tells the Police it was me, a knock was on my door ''If you're not prepared to tell the truth, we will take you down the station, and I will go and get a statement from him''

i really feel sorry for you and your son,i am not surprised you feel let down by the police,who would,nt after the recent disclosure of hillsborough,savile and all the other cover ups.they only seem to be bothered about speed cameras. i would have him shadowed by his brother if possible and dont worry about it getting out of hand,once these cowards (because thats what they are) are confronted they will think twice before doing it again:rant:

Hi

he was shadowed by my wife who stood back and watched my son stand at the tram stop when again he was approached by the youths and my wife then stepped in and was verbally abused and she could not believe how brazen they was

we even sent him to college later then normal and still bumped in to the kids on this occasion Friday am after the issue on Thursday

I think part of the problem is that people with disabilities are excluded in many different ways. How many books, films or T.V. programmes feature people with disabilities? They are very rare and this sends out the message that they they are fundamentally different from everybody else, whereas they are no different apart from their disabilities. I was looking at the library books in the special school where I work and could not find any novels featuring children with disabilities so decided to write one myself, but no agent so far has shown any interest. I've sent it to Amazon Kindle for consideration, but even if it is accepted, it will probably be the only one in their collection.

I disagree - I think we now quite often see disabled people portrayed positively in the media, which never used to be the case.

I think there is a complete lack of respect amongst some young people these days, too many feckless teenagers having children with no idea or interest in bringing them up properly( to treat people as they would wish to be treated themselves)

I can't imagine standing by on Supertram while this disabled lad is being abused. I would have to intervene. I hope everything is working out now for him.

i think the biggest problem is my son does not look disabled and the youths picked up on this seeing him on the tram as it has been a on/off issue over the last year but kicked off more on Thursday after my son stood up for himself when x1 youth was on his own last month and this was the result of it once the youths was all together again.

he is 16yrs old with a mental learning age of a 7yr old.

the response has been very positive from most of the replies on here and even sf users offered their time for us which we are thankful.

radio Sheffield wanted to get involved but we want to deal with this issue in our way ,

but also we want to give full support to disabled people and not just the para Olympic games but we are here to help the people that can not help themselves and make a stand to the bullies of this world.

the police are now dealing with this and we look forward to a positive result and we will let everyone know the out come.

Good to hear in hand. Xxx let us know

so sorry to hear about your son and so upset that all the police say is they (the bullies) would only get a slap on the wrist what sort of society do we now live in ?