Flu Jab - thinking about having it ?

You mean they asked him for further evidence of his claim..? Why did the other 10 co-authors retract the interpretation of the results of the paper? Didn't Andrew Wakefield have a conflict of interest..wasn't he involved in a lawsuit with one of the MMR vaccinations' manufacturers?

There was a conflict in that he was trying to help get compensation for vaccine damaged children. That doesnt make him wrong.

He never claimed to have proven a link but recognised that the MMR was causing a type of autism in some children, a view still supported by many doctors and other studies today.

Why did the other ten change their minds? I don't know, under pressure perhaps, but the other doctor that stood by the findings has since been completely exonerated.

There's info and an interview with Andrew Wakefield on here-

http://m.naturalnews.com/news/035513_Andrew_Wakefield_vaccines_autism.html

Edited by vResistance

There was a conflict in that he was trying to help get compensation for vaccine damaged children. That doesnt make him wrong.

He never claimed to have proven a link but recognised that the MMR was causing a type of autism in some children, a view still supported by many doctors and other studies today.

Why did the other ten change their minds? I don't know, under pressure perhaps, but the other doctor that stood by the findings has since been completely exonerated.

As I understand it his was a small uncontrolled test on about 12 kids.. I know you're going to say it was some kind of conspiracy but I don't think so...

This is a more likely scenario

"In a BMJ follow-up article on 11 January 2011,[18] Deer said that based upon documents he obtained under Freedom of information legislation,[87] Wakefield—in partnership with the father of one of the boys in the study—had planned to launch a venture on the back of an MMR vaccination scare that would profit from new medical tests and "litigation driven testing".[19][60] The Washington Post reported that Deer said that Wakefield predicted he "could make more than $43 million a year from diagnostic kits" for the new condition, autistic enterocolitis.[87] "

From here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield

Andrew Wakefield is not a pioneer against vaccination and vaccination-related autism- he has his own agenda to push and money to make, and his 'research' has been disproved, refuted and debunked.

As I understand it his was a small uncontrolled test on about 12 kids.. I know you're going to say it was some kind of conspiracy but I don't think so...

This is a more likely scenario

"In a BMJ follow-up article on 11 January 2011,[18] Deer said that based upon documents he obtained under Freedom of information legislation,[87] Wakefield—in partnership with the father of one of the boys in the study—had planned to launch a venture on the back of an MMR vaccination scare that would profit from new medical tests and "litigation driven testing".[19][60] The Washington Post reported that Deer said that Wakefield predicted he "could make more than $43 million a year from diagnostic kits" for the new condition, autistic enterocolitis.[87] "

From here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield

As Deer has been pretty underhand in his dealings with Wakefield I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

Andrew Wakefield is not a pioneer against vaccination and vaccination-related autism- he has his own agenda to push and money to make, and his 'research' has been disproved, refuted and debunked.

No it hasn't.

Guest sibon

No it hasn't.

Yes it has, by anyone worth listening to.

Wakefield is a liar and a fraud. He is single handedly responsible for the mental anguish of many thousands of parents. His lies also caused a steep rise in the number of cases of measles in the UK.

Not bad work for an ex-doctor.

As Deer has been pretty underhand in his dealings with Wakefield I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

Can you post any details of Andrew Wakefield's study?

Guest sibon
Can you post any details of Andrew Wakefield's study?

It won't take long. There wasn't much of it.

It won't take long. There wasn't much of it.

I wonder if it's on Youtube ? :D

Yes it has, by anyone worth listening to.

Wakefield is a liar and a fraud. He is single handedly responsible for the mental anguish of many thousands of parents. His lies also caused a steep rise in the number of cases of measles in the UK.

Not bad work for an ex-doctor.

You (like the media) seem to attribute rather a lot to Dr Wakefield which is very unfair, he never suggested that people should stop taking the measles jab, only that perhaps it was safer, at least until further studies had been done, to give the single vaccine rather than the MMR.

It was the fault of the media hype that people were scared into not taking the jab, and that the single vaccine wasn't made available.

Well, they wouldn't want all that MMR going to waste and denting their profits would they? Much better to attack and discredit the Doctor threatening sales.

Edited by vResistance

Guest sibon
You (like the media) seem to attribute rather a lot to Dr Wakefield which is very unfair, he never suggested that people should stop taking the measles jab, only that perhaps it was safer, at least until further studies had been done, to give the single vaccine rather than the MMR.

It was the fault of the media hype that people were scared into not taking the jab, and that the single vaccine wasn't made available.

Well, they wouldn't want all that MMR going to waste and denting their profits would they?uch better to attack and discredit the Doctor threatening sales.

In a way, you have a point. The media did a shockingly bad job. Wakefield provided them with the bullets though. His research was also very sparse and unethical in the extreme.

I don't know whether you've read anything by Ben Goldacre. He has an interesting take on the affair. You can read it here.

It isn't a typical SF link. It contains considered journalism, independent thought, evidence and critical analysis. (It does mention the Daily Mail though:D) Well worth ten minutes of your life.

Well, they wouldn't want all that MMR going to waste and denting their profits would they? Much better to attack and discredit the Doctor threatening sales.

Have a read at his patent application

"t has now also been shown that use of the MMR vaccine (whichis taken to include live attenuated measles measles virus mumps vaccine virus and virus and wild strains of the afore mentiones viruses) results in ileal lymphoid nodular hyperplasia colitis and regressive developmental autism RBD in some infants Before were shown to have a normal developmental often within days to weeks of receiving the infants can begin to noticeably regress over to a clinical diagnosis of autism leading to a clinical diagnosis of autism The MMR vaccine was first used in 1968 and a study in Sweden has shown recently that the prevalence of children with significantly risen "

If that isn't linking MMR vaccine with autism then what is it doing?

http://www.google.com/patents/US6534259?printsec=description#v=onepage&q=%22it%20has%20now%20also%20been%20shown%20that%20use%20of%20the%20MMR%20vaccine%22&f=false

In a way, you have a point. The media did a shockingly bad job. Wakefield provided them with the bullets though. His research was also very sparse and unethical in the extreme.

I don't know whether you've read anything by Ben Goldacre. He has an interesting take on the affair. You can read it here.

It isn't a typical SF link. It contains considered journalism, independent thought, evidence and critical analysis. (It does mention the Daily Mail though:D) Well worth ten minutes of your life.

I'll take a look at that, thank-you.