Online grocery shopping-Should you/Do you tip ?

I use Ocado and Sainsburys and have never ever had a driver hang about or look like he wants a tip. If it's cold I'll offer a coffee, warm I'll offer water juice etc. Normally they can't get away fast enough, but that might say something more about me.....

It probably says more about their timeslots and workload really! :)

Thats what Trades Unions are for...........

Really?....So he can go to the union rep, and they'll get a pay rise for him. :suspect:

dont be obtuse.......The Union should make sure that their members already get a decent wage.

Timeslots with Delivery are dreamt up by someone who doesnt actually live in Reality...or at least has no concept of speed limits

dont be obtuse.......The Union should make sure that their members already get a decent wage.

Timeslots with Delivery are dreamt up by someone who doesnt actually live in Reality...or at least has no concept of speed limits

But the unions are completely toothless. If whoever the employer is, is within the law and paying minimum wage (which mostly they do for 'lower' grade staff), then there's nothing can be done by anyone, except find a better paying job!

I wasn't being obtuse...sarcastic slightly maybe ... Guilty as charged! :hihi:

WEll the Union involved should try a bit harder....ASLEF seem to do a decent job for their members wages etc

It's a bit different for supermarket delivery people, the vehicle is payed for and maintained by the company, they're paid by the hour, they don't have to worry about insurance or petrol costs.

When it comes to takeaway delivery people it's the complete opposite, it's their own car, petrol, maintenance, probably worse working conditions, so if you've got a couple of quid change let them have it.

It's a bit different for supermarket delivery people, the vehicle is payed for and maintained by the company, they're paid by the hour, they don't have to worry about insurance or petrol costs.

When it comes to takeaway delivery people it's the complete opposite, it's their own car, petrol, maintenance, probably worse working conditions, so if you've got a couple of quid change let them have it.

You wouldn't happen to be a pizza delivery person would you? :suspect::suspect: .. :hihi:

Supermarkets such as Asda openly don't want their staff in a union, comes from Walmart (parent) in America.

Supermarkets such as Asda openly don't want their staff in a union, comes from Walmart (parent) in America.

That's probably because American Unions have teeth! They're well connected!

No. I've never tipped a supermarket delivery driver.

Would you tip a particularly friendly and efficient checkout assistent?

That's probably because American Unions have teeth! They're well connected!

I'm not so sure. US retailers (particularly supermarkets) are notorious for low-pay and they have very large numbers of 'intermittent part-time' workers (workers who are on-call and who only work a few hours a week.)

If you were employed in a 40-hour a week job, then your 'union dues' would probably be reasonably small part of your take-home pay. If you were working 8-12 hours a week and paying the same dues, then the union dues would represent a significant amount of your pay.

Both the employers and the unions have to spend money to conduct union business. I doubt that either would be interested - unless the employees were prepared to pay full union dues.

American supermarkets could pay better wages - but the customers would have to pick up the extra and it seems they are not willing to do that.

Where I shoo (Not Wally.Mart) the store has 'baggers' who bag up the groceries and take them out to your car. Those baggers are not employed by the store; they work for tips only (Usually teenagers making pocket money.) They make between £8 - £15 an hour and - being self-employed - are responsible for their own taxes and social security payments. ;);)