Thinking of starting an alternative music night

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated, gona make some enquiries!

The Washington seems to be doing a similar sort of thing to what you are suggesting, nights by the likes of Banksy and Plan B cover that sort of territory and get good crowds in. They do however play off the original vinyl (which is a big draw in itself).

Im not sure - outside of maybe a few genres (mainly northern soul, roots reggae and drum & bass) - that most folk are really too bothered what format you play your music in - its what comes out of the speakers than how it goes in - though i'd agree with most else of whats been said. You need to know your way around however you'll be playing your tunes.

Its tricky to start a night up unless you've got that big extended network of friends and friends of friends. When was the last time you went to a smaller night just because of a flyer? Its usually because your mates are going down or because someone's mate/boyfriend/girlfriend/cousin is putting it on. So by all means cover every shop /cafe in posters/flyers - but make sure you concentrate on getting all your mates & their mates down - it'll be a lot more fruitful.

Also - where as 18 year olds into two step grindcore glichtfusion (or whatever is in this week) are up for going out any night.. Judging by the playlist i'd imagine you may be a similar age to me (as thats pretty much a mid 80s indie/alt night play list). That age range does go out - witness the washington on a drunken sat night - but getting them out on nights other than the weekend is tricky - and obviously getting a weekend night is harder.

Anyway - good luck. As has been said you're doing it for the right reasons (love of music) rather than any misguided notions of making any cash!

I don't know how important mixing will be with the sort of music I want to play but I am going to try and get familiar with it so I am prepared.

Btw I am 22, don't know how old you are jake?

I understand it won't be the most popular night with students but would hope I would be able to get plenty through the door.

I was thinking I would probably only be able to get a weekday night at first and hopefully build reputation from there but maybe it would be possible to get a Friday or Saturday and appeal to a wider range of people / age groups

Blimey! i'm double that. The playlist you described was pretty much what most mid 80s indie/al nights used to play - lots of Doors, Stooges & Velvet Underground amongst the indie/alt stuff - so i'd just assumed you were in your 40s!

Well at your age you should find it a bit easier - but i'd still hold with concentrating on friends and friends of friends - as well as getting flyers/posters around.

Hahaha had the feeling you thought I was older

Ye I think once I get something sorted word of mouth will be a big factor in keeping it going, and I think I can manage that. We shall see!

40 something's always welcome though ;-)

Good luck in whatever you end up doing buddy.

Most people just post on here & if they don't like the answers they forget about it.

Good to see you keep looking for the feedback.

BB.

Edited by bluesbrother
3am

I know that Tune Inn @ The Royal Standard were offering places to learn/work along-side the soundman during the Tramlines festival (This was for bands rather that decks etc, but if you can learn a deck that size, a dj mixing desk would be childs play).

Don't know if they'll still offer this, but its worth asking. You could also ask about playing a few tunes between bands to help you find your feet.

They're a decent group of lads so it's well worth asking.

Try having a chat with the management of the sportsman on cambridge street...

Hello All!

I have been toying with the idea of starting an alternative music night in Sheffield somewhere.

Nowhere seems to play the sort of music I am into and wanted to start a night for people who are into the same sort of thing as me.

I am thinking about psychedelic 60s, bit of post punk / new wave and then also some new music but not the same old indie stuff that seems to be played everywhere!

The sort of bands I was thinking of are Velvet Underground, Stooges, Joy Division, Bowie, Bauhaus, The Doors, The Cure. Just a good mix of really good music.

Do people think this could be something that could be popular in sheffield? Any suggestions / advice would be appreciated i.e. how to get a venue, preferably in the city centre. I have not done anything like this before and not really looking to make loads of money just something sustainable.

I'm really keen on this alternative scene, and would be happy DJing at any event the OP is organising. Do keep us posted or pm me with more info if I can DJ at any events you are organising.:love:

I don't know how important mixing will be with the sort of music I want to play but I am going to try and get familiar with it so I am prepared.

I understand it won't be the most popular night with students but would hope I would be able to get plenty through the door.

I was thinking I would probably only be able to get a weekday night at first and hopefully build reputation from there but maybe it would be possible to get a Friday or Saturday and appeal to a wider range of people / age groups

Looks like you were brought up properly mate! That list of bands sounds like what you would have heard in Sheffied's best night club, the legendary "Limit Club" on West Street, circa 1980! :)

Hahaha, timeless classics.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice!

Just to let people know I have been in touch with the management at the Royal Standard and will be going down this Thursday to try and learn about the mixing desk and how sound is hooked up etc so hopefully I will be able to have a night going maybe beginning of next year if things go to plan.

I will keep you posted and you can all come down to freak out to some good tunes!