Why do Asians vote Labour?

I did nt imply you were being negative,but the point is people are being presumptuous to speculate about motives.I would suspect that the more business oriented would vote Tory.Many Asians run businesses as a substitute for conventional employment,as they experience prejudice when seeking work.

Your are being presumptuous in stating that others are presumptuous, you are also presumptuous in presuming that they experience prejudice when seeking work. Presumably.

Press on.

PS you seem to be experiencing some problems spelling "not"

Your are being presumptuous in stating that others are presumptuous, you are also presumptuous in presuming that they experience prejudice when seeking work. Presumably.

Press on.

PS you seem to be experiencing some problems spelling "not"

How does this comment address the original question?Thanks for the spelling tip:hihi:

i know they dont all vote labour, but asian areas, particulary in sheffield, all return labour mp's/councillors, or mostly do anyway.

Clearly many asian families own/run shops and businesses of various kinds, so therefore i find it strange they vote for labour, a party that is quite hostile to entrepreneurialism with all the red tape, high business rates and rents etc. Also the asian community in general are socially quite conservative, putting them at odds with labours more "progressive" stance on social issues.

The areas in sheffield that have large asian communities ought to be safe tory seats.

labour stance on immigration.

I know they dont ALL vote Labour, but Asian areas, particulary in Sheffield, all return Labour MP's/councillors, or mostly do anyway.

Clearly many Asian families own/run shops and businesses of various kinds, so therefore I find it strange they vote for Labour, a party that is quite hostile to entrepreneurialism with all the red tape, high business rates and rents etc. Also the Asian community in general are socially quite conservative, putting them at odds with Labours more "progressive" stance on social issues.

The areas in Sheffield that have large Asian communities ought to be safe Tory seats.

The block vote where groups of people who share some factor (e.g class or ethnic origin) is breaking down I think. In some ways this is a good thing, but I sense that polticians tend to encourage people to think "what can they do for me" (rather than what they can do for the wider community), particularly with an emphasis on on appealing to people's personal financial interests. This has caused all kinds of consequnces, some of which I think are intended.

Thankfully people or political parties can't be pigeonholed.

So who voted for Shaffaque Mohammad, leader of the Lib Dems on Sheffield City Council & councillor for Broomhill ward ? Asian people vote like anyone else - for the party that best represents their interests. Why would they do any different?

Does Broomhill have a large Asian population-I thought the Broomhill ward was composed of lecturers,old ladies and a few eccentrics and luvvies.

According to Bangingman a couple of years ago, many asians now vote BNP!:hihi:

It's not just Asians returning Labour councillors and MP's in Sheffield, it's all sections of the community, now that people have seen the Lib Dems for what they are.