Basic cake decorating

Can anyone recommend a good basic cake decorating book for someone who has never done anything of the kind before. I've reserved a couple of books which might be useful at the local library but any help would be appreciated.

Hiya. What is it you want to know about cake decorating? Is there something particular that you want to do? From Lande

Hello. Just wanted to know what equipment I would need to start me off. I'm not bothered about anything too elaborate but would love to know the basic techniques and terminology. Some simple suggestions like how to correctly ice a cake and then do some fancy piping etc would be a start. Also how to make some of the unusual shaped cakes.

Hiya. Some of the things that you want to do are by no means basics. Piping and shaped cakes can be quite advanced. A really good book that covers a lot of what you want is The essential guide to cake decorating by Murdoch Books. I"ve got about 400 books and think this is a good one for you to get. Those Finishing Touches is a cake shop in hillsborough that runs courses on different things. You could give them a ring. Good luck and have fun. Cake decorating is alot of trial and error. If you make a mistake stick something on top to cover it up. Don"t get stressed and if you screw up at least you can eat the evidence and start again.

Hi Lande. Many thanks for your advice. Will certainly have a look at the book you recommend and try and contact the business in Hillsborough. I can see that there will be many mistakes (possibly all of them eaten) along the way! Glad you replied to my request.

I subscribe to "Cake Decorating" magazine (http://www.mycakedecorating.co.uk/), which is a weekly publication. It's £2.99 a week, and they take the payments monthly so you get 4 magazines a time.

It's really good, because you get a "free" decorating tool with each issue and then they show you different ways to use them, as well as giving you some yummy recipes to try.

You also get some free gifts (cake caddy, tool storage box, silicone bakeware and more) for subscribing which is good. I'd thoroughly recommend it. :-)

Hi Kegleigh. Many thanks for your reply. I will certainly consider your suggestion - not sure yet when I want to start learning - will probably have a read of the books I've requested from the library first (possibly one of which has been recommended from another contributor) and take it from there. Thanks again.

Do you have Facebook? If do, join a group called all things cake and cake decorating for beginners, you will learn more from this bunch than any book :) x

Hiya RazzleDazzle. Yes I have Facebook so will try your advice. Thanks for the reply.