Memories of Pitsmoor

Sorry Texas, almost right ! Mrs Fantham had the 'Ladies wear' shop.

While I'm here - anyone remember Miss Wheeler from Pye Bank.

She used to teach us girls poetry while we did our needlework, I don't know what the boys used to do (no sexism in those days then!!) -

and yes, I remember Ivy Goodman from the bakers shop very well, and the pikelet man, and what about the man with the horse and cart who used to sell fruit and veg - was he called Bill Anderton?

Strange that no one has mentioned Pitsmoor School. It was about halfway between the top of Rutland Road and the Toll Bar, a little place but one big room if I remember right. Does it still exist?

Hi Texas, I don''t remember it as a school cos I lived the other side of town :), but when we lived in Firth Park I often got the 47/48 bus to and from town and I do remember seeing what looked like an old school in the position you mention.

Six or seven years ago it was still there, - incorporated into some kind of reprographics firm; there is also, almost immediately next door, an old stone built house that looks as though it might have been the school house.

In fact the school lies betwen Rutland road and Pinfold lane. Between the old stone house and Pinfold lane are a couple of Victorian style 'villa' houses set back from the road, and on the opposite corner of Pinfold lane is the Bay Horse pub. I think you can see the school on this picture looking from the toll Bar back along Pitsmoor road with the Bay Horse and Pinfold lane on the right.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s16166

Next time I'm in that area again I'll make a point of having a close look at what is still there.

Thanks for that Greybeard. I had a look at the photograph and the area looks as much as I remember it. The building with the hipped roof, immediately behind the Toll House was a pub in my day with a garage in between. The school is easily seen, and the Bay Horse. I seem to remember another pub across the road somewhere, opposite the school, but the name of it escapes me. The low stone wall on the right of the photo fronted long gardens, at the top of these, out of shot, were some terraced houses.

Texas, I can't remember the name of that pub either, - seem to remember it was rebuilt in the seventies and called the Toll Gate :) Some friends of ours kept the bay Horse for a few years in the eighties so we used to go in there quite a lot.

That stone house next to the school is bugging me now as I'm sure there is a plaque on the wall saying what it was. Will have to go and have a look !

I'm glad somebody remembered the name of the shop at the junction of Fox and Nottingham Streets. So, anybody remember the name of the workshop back down Fox Street on the other side. It was a woodworking shop as far as I remember, they had a circular saw in there.

Incidently, what the hell is a threas?

HI Texas The workshop was Frank Astling & Son where incidently Iserved my time as a joiner, Iworked all round that area for years, Ilived on earldom st off ellesmere rd

cycleracer.what are those little things jumping up and down on your page ?:hihi:

You were looking at Panda's I think:confused: But now its changed to a pic of yours truly.

Hi Texas, I don''t remember it as a school cos I lived the other side of town :), but when we lived in Firth Park I often got the 47/48 bus to and from town and I do remember seeing what looked like an old school in the position you mention.

Six or seven years ago it was still there, - incorporated into some kind of reprographics firm; there is also, almost immediately next door, an old stone built house that looks as though it might have been the school house.

In fact the school lies betwen Rutland road and Pinfold lane. Between the old stone house and Pinfold lane are a couple of Victorian style 'villa' houses set back from the road, and on the opposite corner of Pinfold lane is the Bay Horse pub. I think you can see the school on this picture looking from the toll Bar back along Pitsmoor road with the Bay Horse and Pinfold lane on the right.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s16166

Next time I'm in that area again I'll make a point of having a close look at what is still there.

Just had to jump in there Greybeard, the reprographics building is on the land the school was but the building was not part of the school.

It was built about 1973 and was originally a probation building.

Mr Glover who taught P.E at Hinde House left teaching to become a probation officer and started in that newly built office.

The Toll Gate has been there for as long as I remember but they used to be a BP petrol station next door, already mentioned and that was derelict during the early 70s and demolished to make way for the new flats,.

Could it be them you are confusing with building the Toll Gate.

The picture you show is the Toll House which I have been in a few times and the gates at the side used to close off Burngreave Rd and Pitsmoor Rd and Horse and Carriages used to have to pay to get through them.

Hi all,I am new to Sheffield forum,you guys dont know how much pleasure i get out of your comments.I left Sheffield in about 1949 but can still remember lots.The only thing i have trouble piecing together are the names of the streets.I lived in Petre Street crn Sutherland Road.The teacher you are talking about MR Fearnehough,do you know his first name?There were Fearnehoughs that lived in Earldom street,a house with big wooden gates over the archway.My name was Glenda Fearnehough,left England in 1963 and living on the Gold Coast Australia.:hihi:

HI Glen UNKI ARTY here this is where you was trying to find out if Iwas the teacher called fearnehough is it not funny though Iwent to night school classes at burngreave school I turned a bowl on the lathe Istill have it in fact I am looking at it after all these years will e-mail soon BYE.

Thanks for that Greybeard. I had a look at the photograph and the area looks as much as I remember it. The building with the hipped roof, immediately behind the Toll House was a pub in my day with a garage in between. The school is easily seen, and the Bay Horse. I seem to remember another pub across the road somewhere, opposite the school, but the name of it escapes me. The low stone wall on the right of the photo fronted long gardens, at the top of these, out of shot, were some terraced houses.

I seem to remember apub there i think it was demolished and the toll bar pub built in its place

Hola again Arthur, regarding the workshop on Fox Street. I keep having a think about the people it belonged to when I was a kid, and the name Carter keeps coming to mind. Did it change hands I wonder, I mean after the blitz. It's not really important I know, but it exercises the memory.

While everybody has their memories in high gear, and before people who grew up in other parts of Sheffield get sick of the name "Pitsmoor", lets try and take one more trip down memory lane. Do you remember:

When Pye Bank School was an ambulance depot during the war ? They used to park the ambulances under the sheds in the girls playground.

Gas Mask and Air Raid Shelter practice at Pye Bank? I wonder how long they kept doing it ,even after the war had ended?

The static water tank they built next to the school? Remember some kids used to try and swim in it in summer and skate on it in winter - with near fatal results. Incidentally, I remember the pipe from the tank going down Grey Street but I've no idea how the water got from there into town. Did it go down Chatham Street and along Corporation Street or along Nursery Street and over Lady's Bridge?

There was a lot of good memories about the "White House" chippy on Andover Street but do you remember the bakery on the other side of the street. nearer to Nottingham Sreet? Do you remember the penny sticky buns?

Lastly, something a bit more macabre. Does anybody remember the circular shelter in middle of the main avenue in Burngreave Cemetery? It had glass on all sides and people of my mothers generation (b 1907) used to call it "The Band Stand". It did look like a band stand but I'm sure a band never played there. It was still there in 1961, when we buried my Grand Mother, but I think it was demolished when they removed

most of the head stones. The site became a circular flower bed

OK, you can start remembering!

I have fond memories of fish and chip lunches round the old toitoise stove in our workshop on Fox st from the whitehouse I wonder how old that building was, it should have been listed,

You've done it again Falls. Johnny Fantham's ma had one of two shops more or less opposite the Toll Bar. If I remember right, one was a grocery and the other sold clothing, kids clothes etc. I think the Fanthams had the grocery.

John now deals in S/H industrial machinery and stuff like that.