Memories of Pitsmoor

Hi Cycleracer,

I maybe able to save you a trip. I think the bandstand had gone in Janaury 1991: My last visit to Burngreave Cemetery.

It may have been demolished at the same time as most of the headstones and monuments were removed. I don't know when all that happened.

Regards

Now I know you guys are going to give me the horse laugh but I had a ghost experience at the end of Melrose Road once.

I was on working on the railway at the time, at Grimesthorpe.

I had to be on duty at 2am, so it must've been about 1.15 or so and I was walking to work over the hill past the school.

As I approached the big gates at the end I could see a swirling column of mist about 3 or 4 feet high and as I got nearer it got taller then just faded away. I'd stopped long before the fading part, no fool me, but when I moved forward again. Nothing. The gates were open, but then they always were, about a foot. It could've been a apparition coming out for a breath of air, but I didn't go that way again for a while, it scared the c*** out of me. It hadn't any shape, just a column.....

Spooky.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

Yes, Hancocks was on the corner of Andover St and Rock Street and had a smell of parafin when you walked in.

Mr Hancock I remember him well being tall thin with grey hair and always wore a gray smock.

hi everbody

is old age playing tricks with my memory or what I seem to think Hancocks was at the corner of Nottingham St and Fox St. I also remember taking the old pennies we spent on biscuits at school in a bag to be changed for notes there, might be a bit dodgy nowadays. Everything else seems seems correct.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Shaun

I attended Pye Bank, just for a short time, must have been around 1940, before transferring to St. Catherines. I always believed that Pye Bank was hit by a bomb.

Originally posted by shaunfl

hi everbody

is old age playing tricks with my memory or what I seem to think Hancocks was at the corner of Nottingham St and Fox St. I also remember taking the old pennies we spent on biscuits at school in a bag to be changed for notes there, might be a bit dodgy nowadays. Everything else seems seems correct.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Shaun

Thats incorrect shaunfl, Fox street did'nt actually meet with Nottingham St until it reached the beer off called Garnetts.

There was lso a shop opposite which name I forget, this could be the shop your thinking about, both shops were still there in the 90s.

hancocks was demolished in the late 60s.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

Fox street did'nt actually meet with Nottingham St until it reached the beer off called Garnetts.

. [/b]

I remember Garnetts beer off shop. I used to play footbal on the rec. regularly, and either went to Garnetts or Caira's for a drink. Course when I was older I'd go for a pint in the Rock, Fox & Duck, or Loco Club.

Originally posted by Dude786

bunch of old biddies talking i getting out of this threas

You goon

Originally posted by Dude786

bunch of old biddies talking i getting out of this threas

well it is a thread in the Sheffield History section, and people over a certain age will know more about History than those who still have their milk teeth. Looking in the History section is voluntary, don't make an issue out of it.

I'm glad somebody remembered the name of the shop at the junction of Fox and Nottingham Streets. So, anybody remember the name of the workshop back down Fox Street on the other side. It was a woodworking shop as far as I remember, they had a circular saw in there.

Incidently, what the hell is a threas?

Originally posted by Texas

I'm glad somebody remembered the name of the shop at the junction of Fox and Nottingham Streets. So, anybody remember the name of the workshop back down Fox Street on the other side. It was a woodworking shop as far as I remember, they had a circular saw in there.

Incidently, what the hell is a threas?

He means threads but obviously to dumb to spell it correctly.

Just for the record I'm 46 and was a child in the 60s but remember Pitsmoor from then.

Go back to chit chat your obviously a paid up member of that clan and leave this section to the sensible forumers.:gag: DUDE.

do any one of you remeber the picklett man going round the eatate on his push bike and the lady what used to light the gas lamp near to spittal hill i remwber the flats been built and the murder what happend when the workmen found the dead body of a woman in two seperate masionettes i used to live on spital street next to the building what used to deliver the films to the picture houses :thumbsup:

Originally posted by steevie/d

do any one of you remeber the picklett man going round the eatate on his push bike and the lady what used to light the gas lamp near to spittal hill i remwber the flats been built and the murder what happend when the workmen found the dead body of a woman in two seperate masionettes i used to live on spital street next to the building what used to deliver the films to the picture houses :thumbsup:

I did hear about the bodies in the massonettes, I believe they were dumped in the foundations of the stairs.

My memory of this is shady so maybe someone can enlighten me.

Talking about murders, you must remember the shootings in the East house.