Do i charge VAT o a charity organisation?

I am just in the middle of a job and th client reckons i can,t charge VAT to the bill as they are a registered charity- is this correct

What happens in my next quarter when the VAT man whats his money?

Sounds nonsense to me, you can't decide who and who not to charge VAT. Surely it's up to the charity to reclaim the VAT.

From HMRC:

VAT reliefs on charity purchases

There are special VAT reliefs available on certain purchases made by charities which mean you either don't have to pay VAT or you pay a reduced rate of VAT - whether or not you're VAT registered. For each of these reliefs specific conditions have to be met.

There is also a special VAT relief available on certain goods and services bought with charitable funds for use by certain types of charities and certain eligible bodies.

If you want to take advantage of these reliefs you must provide your supplier with an eligibility declaration certifying that the conditions have been met.

Presume you can then submit the eligibility declaration to HMRC.

If you're VAT registered you must charge everyone VAT, as you will have to pay it to HMRC.

If the customer is entitled to claim back they do this themselves directly.

I recently had a customer who is a religious based conference centre in the city centre say the same thing but when my invoice got to the account team it ws paid correctly.

If you're VAT registered you must charge everyone VAT, as you will have to pay it to HMRC.

If the customer is entitled to claim back they do this themselves directly.

I recently had a customer who is a religious based conference centre in the city centre say the same thing but when my invoice got to the account team it ws paid correctly.

Correct if you are VAT registered you must charge VAT and it is the customers job to claim the VAT back from the revenue if they are eligible.

If I purchase any disabled/mobility aids, from a walking stick to a scooter, special shoes etc, I dont pay the VAT. I just sign a declaration stating I am exempt. The retailer then has to submit it with his returns. It would probably apply if a builder was employed to adapt my house, a bit of a pain for him but I am not VAT registerd so I cant claim it back myself.

Correct if you are VAT registered you must charge VAT and it is the customers job to claim the VAT back from the revenue if they are eligible.

Not quite correct. If a supplier is exempt from VAT and they provide you with certification that proves it, then you do not add VAT on to the invoice.

We had this with a project involving the University of Sheffield. The onus is on the client to tell you this prior to you raising your invoice.