Please help 393 club comunity centre

Hi i'm posting this on behalf of my friend

he helps run the 393 club on langsett rd and they are in need of some stackable chairs to use in the centre.

So this is a plea to anyone that has some and doesn't want them any more,

or if any one has any ideas where to get some.

Old school chairs are ideal. Please PM me.

At present the club has lost all its funding from the city council so are forced in to selling a yard at the back of the club in order to raise cash to refurbish the centre, at the moment it is in a very poor state and requires around £80,000 to bring it back to a reasonable standared and secure the centre for years to come.(It needs new roof, windows, toilet block, disabled access ect)

The developers are going to build town houses on the site.

If any one knows the club is this a good idea?

Or what do local people think ?

It's a historic building. The old soldier's home from the barracks I think? There are photos of it in the Queen's Ground. Its weird shape is probably unique, always reminds me of Norman's house in Psycho.

But it's looked a right mess for years and is a bit of an eyesore. I'd like to see it restored without ruining its character. Flats is probably the best use for it. It would make a nice pub but there isn't the demand. I would hate to see it demolished. I'm not sure it's worth spending 80-100k for its current use, there must be more suitable buildings for that elsewhere?

Good luck to the club though and well done for keeping the building in use.

I used to volunteer at the youth club there - does Sally still run it? Sorry can't help with the chairs but do post if you need anything else, I'm sure there are all sorts of odds and ends around that could be put to better use than clogging up people's homes. I work at a youth club on the other side of the city and we are struggling for funding too.

yes ive got to say this club gives people a lieline in turning their lives around i came into the club 5 years ago and its safe to say i am now not the same person than when i joined it gives people self confidence and a new outlook on life. this unique club has to remain in our infastructure.

Is there any point in applying to different funding streams, or has that already been done? South Yorkshire Funding Advice Bureau (SYFAB): http://syfab.org.uk/fundingnews/

There still getting small amounts of funding to run the youth club but what they need is capital to improve the facilities and unfortunatly this is proving harder to find.

And thanks for the links i'll pass them on :)

Is all the building required by the 393 club?

If not part could be sublet to a not for profit type company (owned by the 393 club) could bring in a small income stream and maybe a source to train people).

Does the 393 club have a business plan for the refurb to try and get funding?

Otherwise could try a DIY Big Build style project!

Edited by silverknight