Breastfeeding in public- disappointed in people's attitudes

Btw, leaking breasts and a soggy top are FAR more embarrassing than a discrete feed, and that's without taking into consideration the discomfort of engorged breasts

And the travel company would tell you that there's nothing that they could do because it's illegal to discriminate against a woman breast-feeding in public. As this link explains, "the Equality Act 2010 has made it illegal for anyone to ask a breastfeeding woman to leave a public place such as a cafe, shop or public transport":-

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/breastfeeding-in-public.aspx

(Warning: this NHS page contains images of women discreetly breastfeeding, that intolerant people might find shocking). The government, the NHS, even the Daily Mail, hardly known for being at the vanguard of women's rights, all support the right of women to breastfeed in public

So with all due respect and consideration, FACEBOOK, I'd suggest that you stop complaining about how little consideration breast-feeding women are giving to you and start thinking about how much consideration you should be giving to women, and, in particular, to their babies who are considerably less able than you to stand up for themselves.

Is this not what FACEBOOK is doing, discriminating against a woman breastfeeding in public?

If so, then the mods should show HIM the door.

From what I have read on here, I would not be surprised if he has even seen a woman's breast.

To the OP, take no notice of idiots, Keep Calm and Carry On.

/////////////////////////

Edited by FACEBOOK

Reading through this thread, I have come to the conclusion that this 'FACEBOOK' person is just winding people up on here. Revealing such a pathetic and prudish attitude to what is such a normal human experience is just not true.

Nobody is discriminating against a woman breastfeeding in public. My point is that I can understand that it would make some people feel uncomfortable if they suddenly happened upon it. This is true, it doesn't make those people bad people. They felt uncomfortable, not like they can help that. On the flip side, I would imagine that some women would feel extremely self conscious about breastfeeding in public and would prefer not to have to do it if circumstances permitted.

I can't imagine the following situation happening anyway, but lets say you're flying business class and someone starts breastfeeding next to you without warning. I would find that an uncomfortable situation to suddenly find myself in, I wouldn't say anything or stare as mentioned in previous posts. I'd want to say, "I'll just move over there to give you some privacy" but I'd probably just silently move. Not everyone is the same, some people would find it an awkward position to be in. I know I would so I'd remove myself from the situation. Doesn't make me a bad person. I would expect a professional airline to notice a mother breastfeeding next to a stranger and ask the mother or the person nearest the isle if they wanted a more private seat. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

On the contrary, you ARE discriminating against them, you don't want mothers to breast feed in public but you don't mind them bottle feeding them.

This is discriminating IMO.

I take it you have never had any kids. You keep banging on about the mother getting it out in front of you without any notice :rolleyes:

There will be plenty of notice that the mother is going to feed her baby if you knew the slightest thing about it.

Why do you also keep going on about your concern for the mothers privacy?

The problem lies with you, your the one who feels bad and embarrassed, of your going to protest about it then grow a pair and stick to the real reason, you have a problem with ladies bits.

Hmmmmmm

Wonder why that is?

Edited by Skirmisher

Edited by FACEBOOK

Honestly :hihi: The personal insults and attacks are quite something for such a supposed "caring bunch", and the pop psych is truly ridiculous. Very entertaining though.

Personal insults?

Edited by FACEBOOK

Just because something is "the most natural thing in the world" does not mean it will be instantly acceptable to be done in a "public" area in our society.

We wouldn't defecate, urinate, fornicate etc. in public even though these are the most natural things in the world.

We don't walk about naked on the hottest day - we cover bits of our body that are deemed to be "naughty" with shorts or trunks or bikinis.

Women showing their breasts in public is still seen as a taboo by some - generations were brought up like this and change takes time.

The people who made the comments were out of order but, perhaps the mother, with a little effort, could have been more discrete, knowing that offence can be taken by some.

I'm not sure that I would particularly appreciate walking into, say, a restaurant or cafe,

and two or three mothers were breast-feeding. A lot of men would find this "embarassing" just because we're not supposed to see this and don't know how to react.

Just because something is "the most natural thing in the world" does not mean it will be instantly acceptable to be done in a "public" area in our society.

We wouldn't defecate, urinate, fornicate etc. in public even though these are the most natural things in the world.

We don't walk about naked on the hottest day - we cover bits of our body that are deemed to be "naughty" with shorts or trunks or bikinis.

Women showing their breasts in public is still seen as a taboo by some - generations were brought up like this and change takes time.

The people who made the comments were out of order but, perhaps the mother, with a little effort, could have been more discrete, knowing that offence can be taken by some.

I'm not sure that I would particularly appreciate walking into, say, a restaurant or cafe,

and two or three mothers were breast-feeding. A lot of men would find this "embarassing" just because we're not supposed to see this and don't know how to react.

I myself have come across women breast feeding in public places and yes I have felt a little embarrassed, this as far as I am concerned is my problem not there's. Why should they stop what they are doing just because I might happen across them and feel slightly awkward. I'm sure the mothers themselves don't want anyone gawping at them while feeding their kids but if it has to be done, it has to be done.

Good post. I agree with most of what you say here. Surely though you would agree though that the 'problem' lies with the beholder and not the breastfeeding mother - i.e. we shouldn't be asking feeding mums to hide in corners or toilets, we should be promoting breastfeeding and saying ''this is what happens, get used to it''?