Whats traffic like over woodhead at 8pm?

At that time, and with your destination being the airport, it might be better to cut out the Mottram tailback altogether; turn left onto the A57, as if you were going to go all the way back to Sheffield on the Snake, then turn right onto the A626 towards Marple.

It's not a route I know very well, but quite a few people take the Snake Pass and turn down that road to avoid Mottram, if they're heading to the south side of Manchester. Either way, though, I would definitely be planning to arrive with an hour to spare and a cup of coffee to drink; that way if traffic is horrendously bad, which is more likely than not ... you are still in good time.

I've tried this route to get to work, near the airport, it's not good. Marple and Hazel Grove are a nightmare, as is Romiley as the alternative. Might be good if they ever build the airport eastern link road extension to the A555 and Poynton by-pass.

OP I think your best option is to leave at 6.30am and go via Woodhead, M67.

Actually I find it's about 45 mins - 1 hour from the Gun Inn traffic lights to M56 J5 (so I use this way less often). The bigger bottle neck is the M67/M60 junction but it should be OK at that time, and also traffic is reducing for the summer holidays and will get much quicker after kids break up from school.

Watch out for the 50mph average speed check on the M60 past Stockport.

roadworks are for reinforcement/ piling/netting the bank just above where the lane goes down to the tunnel, have seen queues 2 miles long to them, if I need to be in Manchester for anytime after 0730, it's a 6 start for me from Wincobank, rather be there early and wait, than be late and end up rushing!!

i tend to go over castleton/chapel le frith Marple and Hazel Grove

tbh it's been quite surprising,like many others i've travelled the route for 15 years or more and experienced the snail trail.In fact on one journey i had a travel sick passenger who walked from the house with the bypass sign to the traffic lights quicker tham i drove. So it has been a pleasant change.

Although is traffic getting lighter everywhere or i am just mellowing?

Aye, I agree with the bold. Due to many now unable to pay the price of fuel, road tax and insurance.

At least it has reduced the ammount of traffic going over the Woodhead by a good margin IMHO.

Angel.

Hope Valley, Castleton, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Whaley Bridge, through traffic lights, up hill after 2 miles look for signpost right to Pott Shrigley. Down hill, Right at T in village. Follow road to traffic lights by big pub, straight across (Stockport-Macclesfield Road) keep on, you are heading for Wilmslow, pick up signs to Manchester Airport. There are other small shortcuts, but this is usually traffic free. Look at a good road atlas.

Been using it for 40 years!

It's a journey I do regularly as my family live 5 mins from Manchester Airport. The Woodhead was a total nightmare last Friday with massive tailbacks resulting from the roadworks. On Sunday I came back down the lanes past the airport via Pott Shrigley, Kettleshulme, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Winnats etc. in just under an hour and a half.

Hope Valley, Castleton, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Whaley Bridge, through traffic lights, up hill after 2 miles look for signpost right to Pott Shrigley. Down hill, Right at T in village. Follow road to traffic lights by big pub, straight across (Stockport-Macclesfield Road) keep on, you are heading for Wilmslow, pick up signs to Manchester Airport. There are other small shortcuts, but this is usually traffic free. Look at a good road atlas.

Been using it for 40 years!

Beat me to it. That was going to be my recommendation too. I always go that way to Manchester Airport - takes about an hour and 10 minutes usually - that's from Abbey Lane area of Sheffield.