Upto XXmbs broadband..

Swampster

No... no I wouldn't, please don't make assumptions about what I would or wouldn't do!

If I was on a 20mbs connection and I was getting 20mbs.. I'd be happy.. I don't care what the profile is at their end. So long at the receiving end I'm getting what is advertised.

So try getting in touch with BT and tell them they are stopping you getting your full speed

No ISP can guarantee you can get the amount that they say

of course they can... within reason (there's always network stuff ups etc).. I'd bet they could guarantee me 1Mbs up 1Mbs down without problem, give or take a disaster in the NOC.

As Alex HAS quite rightly pointed out it's all about dodgy advertising and profit.

Perhaps your ISP has to pay more to their provider for the faster package - it may be that to get the faster speeds they need to put you on a different profile which costs them more?

Have you asked your ISP this question? I would imagine there's a valid reason for it.

Perhaps your ISP has to pay more to their provider for the faster package - it may be that to get the faster speeds they need to put you on a different profile which costs them more?

Indeed, that's quite possible/probable.. but then that would be root problem with the network provider i.e DRL.

Have you asked your ISP this question? I would imagine there's a valid reason for it.

Nope I haven't because as I stated in my OP it was more a thought process, and an intended discussion piece till some people seemed to want to make a personal issue out of it...

The concept of the question Denomis hit upon...

If a line is capable of speeds XY&Z why should a user put up only getting speeds of V-W, when it's advertised as X?

So please explain how you get your internet from the cabinet to your home if not on a BT line

*Sigh* you don't give up do ya... yes it's a BT line, but it could just as easily be a MPF direct from the ISP concerned. It would make NO difference..

The simple fact remains... the LINE that I DO have is ALREADY CAPABLE of speeds above 40Mbs.

It isn't anything to do with BT slowing down the speeds I am getting nor is it their fault, it's how the ISP I am with (or the network wholesaler which isn't BT) have profiled their network.

In essence if they only output at 40Mbs, then unless you are plugged directly into the DSLAM it is an ALMOST CERTAINTY that you wouldn't get 40Mbs. So if they're advertising an upto 40Mbs service, perhaps the profile should be able to auto negotiate upwards to attain that if the line is capable of it.

I know they.. when I say they (I mean Thales), are capable of steadily increasing the profile.. they have done it before on my line when I had some issues in the past. I was getting much nearer the 40Mbs mark for a while during this process.. and while on the phone to the ISP they were able to check what was happening on the line, and I was indicating at being connected at 47mbs at 'their' end.

*Sigh* you don't give up do ya... yes it's a BT line, but it could just as easily be a MPF direct from the ISP concerned. It would make NO difference..

The simple fact remains... the LINE that I DO have is ALREADY CAPABLE of speeds above 40Mbs.

It isn't anything to do with BT slowing down the speeds I am getting nor is it their fault, it's how the ISP I am with (or the network wholesaler which isn't BT) have profiled their network.

In essence if they only output at 40Mbs, then unless you are plugged directly into the DSLAM it is an ALMOST CERTAINTY that you wouldn't get 40Mbs. So if they're advertising an upto 40Mbs service, perhaps the profile should be able to auto negotiate upwards to attain that if the line is capable of it.

I know they.. when I say they (I mean Thales), are capable of steadily increasing the profile.. they have done it before on my line when I had some issues in the past. I was getting much nearer the 40Mbs mark for a while during this process.. and while on the phone to the ISP they were able to check what was happening on the line, and I was indicating at being connected at 47mbs at 'their' end.

So if you are being sent 47 to the cabinet and you were getting much nearer the 40Mbs- Your words where is the other 7+mbs gone or it it that DR has decided that they don't want to give you any more

If the cabinet is getting 47mbs and you are getting 39

you don't need an A Level in advanced physics to see that it is being lost from the cabinet to your home ie BT Line

You keep saying "The simple fact remains... the LINE that I DO have is ALREADY CAPABLE of speeds above 40Mbs. "

How do you know that

You tell me any ISP other than Virgin who guarantee you xx mbs download

I've been thinking... I do daft things like that sometimes...

I'm currently on the Digital Region network, paying for a package that is touted as a 40/10Mbs service. Except it's described 'upto' of which I'm currently averaging around 30/4 mbs..

What is your peak speeds?

Average speeds are pretty meaningless as its more likely due to the servers you are using rather than your line speed fluctuating. With a single connection to most servers I never get my peak speed. Uploading to my VPS I usually only get around 4Mbit, but I know my line is running at 9.9Mbit as I can reach that doing multiple concurrent uploads.

If you are not managing to reach the peak speed of 37/9 for a 40/10 connection then you would STILL get the same speed on the 100/30 package, as that is clearly the limit of your line.

There are a few possibilities of tweaking your profile to get a little more, but no way you are suddenly going to achieve drastically higher speeds.

Edited by AlexAtkin