Upto XXmbs broadband..

Swampster

I know how DSL technology works, I also know in all likelihood my line is capable of far in excess of 40/10.. the fact they ARE able to provide that facility just goes to prove that... why then, am I not receiving it, as that is what I am paying for?

No where does it say, you'll only get 40/10 if you're 1" from the cab with a CAT5 cable into the VDSL DSLAM. The fact remains they are technically able to provide me with 40/10Mbs without further infrastructure work, I am being charged for 40/10 yet getting somewhere in the ballpark of 25% or more less than that. AKA I'm being artificially restricted..

Origin Max quote "just the fastest speed your line can support. Maybe you’ll get 50mb, 70mb, 80mb, or even higher!"

What will you do then if you don't get the full 100m you are wanting

Instead of complaining on here get in touch with BT and tell them they are affecting your speeds please let us know what they say

Origin Max quote "just the fastest speed your line can support. Maybe you’ll get 50mb, 70mb, 80mb, or even higher!"

Instead of complaining on here get in touch with BT and tell them they are affecting your speeds please let us know what they say

But if his line can support 20mbs then why is he not getting the 10mbs he's signed up for.

But if his line can support 20mbs then why is he not getting the 10mbs he's signed up for.

The key words are "UP TO", he didn't sign up for 'at least' 10mbit, it's 10mbit at best. UP TO 10mbit puts the same amount of load on their systems as a full 10mbit connection does, so they charge the same, whatever your line is capable of. They'd have to put you on the next setting above & double the load on their system to double the speed, they might not have fine grained controls without buying yet more equipment to do that & it'd end up costing them more based on factors outside their control.

Edited by anywebsite

Who said anything about wanting 100 mbs? I suggest you re-read what I wrote..

for instance the 50mb, 70mb, 80mb or even higher... are ALL above the 40Mbs my package is currently supposed to deliver, if I'm not mistaken.

The POINT you're missing is... my line is most likely CAPABLE of SUPPORTING ALL those speeds you mentioned.. 50, 70, 80 etc. Then why do I not receive

40? Simple because they're leveraging poor DSL profiling, and using nefarious marketing to make more money..

I'm sorry.. I didn't realise you had put in charge of where people should or should not discuss things? I thought this was a discussion board after all :huh:

You aren't paying for 40/10mbit guaranteed minimum bandwidth, that would cost a lot more. It's about poor advertising & your misunderstanding of it.

I don't misunderstand anything of the sort.. thank you. I know what I am paying for, an 'upto 40/10' service. I'm not asking for guaranteed bandwidth.. but it is something which I NEVER get, even though my line is capable of supporting higher.

Edited by Swampster

To receive 20mbs it may have to give you say 25mbs to the cabinet which would cost more them he would be complaining that he is paying for 25mbs but is only getting 20 the problem is with the BT copper wires not with FTTC

Your line is only capable of either up to 40mbit (30mbit) or up to 100mbit (probably 60-80 for you). It probably costs more to supply your phone line than somebody who's right next to a green box, despite you getting lower speeds.

As an aside, the ISP concerned doesn't say 'upto' anywhere in their product description either....

Broadband Speeds

40 Mbit/s Download

10 Mbit/s Upload

Totally Unlimited Downloads and Uploads

Edited by Swampster

To receive 20mbs it may have to give you say 25mbs to the cabinet which would cost more them he would be complaining that he is paying for 25mbs but is only getting 20 the problem is with the BT copper wires not with FTTC

No... no I wouldn't, please don't make assumptions about what I would or wouldn't do!

If I was on a 20mbs connection and I was getting 20mbs.. I'd be happy.. I don't care what the profile is at their end. So long at the receiving end I'm getting what is advertised.