Remember a charitable scheme called Sunny Smiles?

Anyone remember a charitable scheme called Sunny Smiles.

At your local Sunday School you were given a little booklet

featuring detachable photos of unfortunate toddlers.You were asked to hawk these round friends and family in return for a contribution.

The buyer was then given the photo of the toddler .

Sadly you usually ended up with a few bob and some unsold pictures of the ugliest kids.

Ha Ha I remember those. It was all in a good cause.

Ahhh Sunny Smiles :) Wonder what happened to those kids and if their life improved.

Every year the whole school was given 'Sunny Smile' books to sell to friends and relatives. Mum usually bought loads of books because she didn't like us going round too many neighbours asking them to buy them. There was always a few pictures of really ugly babies left in the books as no-one wanted to buy them

These must have been going a long time, I remember them when I was at school in the 1950s, I had totally forgotten about them until I read this thread. I wonder if anyone knows what charity set them up, and if it still exists today.

I remember them as well..were we supposed to sell them?

I remember them. but now I would like to think that I would buy the non so pretty ones, getting soft in my old age.

my dad told me he was one of the children photographed in the sunny smiles booklet. he was in a childrens home at the time. i would love to get hold of one of the books, does anybody know where i can get one from? i know they are years old, but i would really like one. any info appreciated. thanks

Also at school in '50s, and we had Sunny Smiles books too - this had made me think of other things we did for charity - I can remember some pink flowers being sold (similar to poppies for Remembrance Sunday, but I have a feeling they were made of paper) - can anyone recall what these were for?

I had to sell them for the Brownies..thye were a good idea i think. people used to take pity on them and buy the ugliest ones first!...not sure what they did with them after!

These must have gone on for years, because I remember selling them in 1980 / 81. Can anyone remember if they saw them much after this? I didn't, but I changed schools at that time, so maybe that's why!

I remember my uncle buying two pictures from me, but signing his name as Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck on the counterfoil; I was frightened to death that I would get into trouble for him doing that. Strange what worries youy when you are six!

I remember selling/buying them in the 40's at a penny each photo, what was the value in the 80's.

I too used to pick the pretty ones. How awful for the others, I hope they never knew.

Hazel

Originally posted by hazel

what was the value in the 80's.

Hazel

They didn't have a set price I seem to recall, a bit like poppies now. Most people used to give me about 10 or 20p