Car issue - assistance required

Hi everyone,

I have a noise coming from my timing belt cover, well actually inside it. I am assuming this may be either the timing belt itself or maybe the tensioners? or possibly the water pump which is located just underneath it

The noise is like a higher pitch and is intermittent both when the car is staionary and when driving which leads me to belive that it may be the timing belt. The pitch doesn't change at all, its either present or not.

The belt was last changed at 54K and the car has now done 99K therefore I'm assuming its ready for a change anyway.

I have little knowledge about cars however this would seem to me to be the most logical explaination. I'm not driving it at present as I don't want to find my engine seizing up. If it is this generally how much are they to change? and how long a job is it please. I do have an older car and the area is easy to reach.

Thank you for your time

Hi everyone,

I have a noise coming from my timing belt cover, well actually inside it. I am assuming this may be either the timing belt itself or maybe the tensioners? or possibly the water pump which is located just underneath it

The noise is like a higher pitch and is intermittent both when the car is staionary and when driving which leads me to belive that it may be the timing belt. The pitch doesn't change at all, its either present or not.

The belt was last changed at 54K and the car has now done 99K therefore I'm assuming its ready for a change anyway.

I have little knowledge about cars however this would seem to me to be the most logical explaination. I'm not driving it at present as I don't want to find my engine seizing up. If it is this generally how much are they to change? and how long a job is it please. I do have an older car and the area is easy to reach.

Thank you for your time

I recently had a car where the timing belt pulley sheared off. This had exactly the same effect as the timing belt snapping. It wrecked the engine. That car sadly went to the scrapyard in the sky.

Get it professionally sorted before starting or driving it, at all.

The cost of doing the job (assuming it's the timing belt) can vary tremendously, depending on make and model and whether it's a main dealer or a jobbing garage. Anything from £100 to £300 (guestimate).

if you know what you are doing then it can be straightforward. if you get it wrong, you can and probably will wreck your engine, or bend some valves as a minimum. if you arent confident then take it to someone who is.

the noise will be one of the tensioners worn, or the water pump itself, its not worth doing either without doing the cambelt at the same time (assuming the water pump is driven off that belt and not off an auxilliary belt).

given your mileage then the only way forward is a full timing kit with tensioners, and if you are intending keeping the car then invest in a new water pump at the same time, in the long run its no saving if you miss it out now and 12 months on it lets go.

that sound like it needs doing asap tbh i would say if you go to a garage it would be costing more like £200-£700ish depending on make and model and whether they wont the job or not

if you know what you are doing then it can be straightforward. if you get it wrong, you can and probably will wreck your engine, or bend some valves as a minimum. if you arent confident then take it to someone who is.

the noise will be one of the tensioners worn, or the water pump itself, its not worth doing either without doing the cambelt at the same time (assuming the water pump is driven off that belt and not off an auxilliary belt).

given your mileage then the only way forward is a full timing kit with tensioners, and if you are intending keeping the car then invest in a new water pump at the same time, in the long run its no saving if you miss it out now and 12 months on it lets go.

This is very helpful, I managed to change the water pump in the past some 7 years ago and found it quite easy to do. On the older cars the various components are quite easy to reach. I have a rather ancient Vauxhall Cavalier and its been the best car I've ever owned for reliability and performance however unfortunately I'm not in a financial position to afford another car at present. I do know the fan belt also needs replacing so that can be done at the same time. The car has been great over the years therefore I'll take your advice and book it in to get the problem sorted.

Thanks very much, greatly appreciated

I would recommend not starting it up because if the belt / tensioner or a pully do end up failing than it would really mess the engine up.

Hi there you are welcome to call me I could come and take a look at this for you.

Hi there you are welcome to call me I could come and take a look at this for you.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my enquiry. As it turns out a piece of the plastic casing had broken off and was flying around inside the casing hence the noise. It still makes a funny noise mind however the mechanic said everything was ok. The cars done 99k so I can't expect too much!

Thanks everyone:D