Smelter Lane, Pitsmoor

Finding the details we wanted was relatively (excuse pun) easy as the person we were looking for wasn't in the workhouse but lived in the city centre. She went into the workhouse hospital when she was taken ill with pneumonia, unfortunately they were unable to help her and she died aged 39.

I know this post was from 2005 but I am also looking for someone who lived at 2 Smilter Lane, Pitsmoor, Sheffield. This was in 1917. Was the Sheffield Union Workhouse  there in 1917?

I am doing the family tree and originate from Dinnington, Near Sheffield. There is one member of the family who is very hard to find. I have a birth certificate showing that a Mary "Lizzie" Platts had a daughter, May Platts born in 1917, and address is 2 Smilter Lane, Pitsmoor, Sheffield. May's mother, Mary "Lizzie" Platts, is a mystery to all the family. No-one knew she lived there. Can anyone tell me about the Workhouse? Would she have lived there or just go there to have the child? As I said she is a mystery to all the family.

Also can anyone tell me how to find out the electoral roles for 1917 - Talbot Street, Sheffield?

Any info on the above will be great.

Lesley0206

14 minutes ago, lesley0206 said:

I know this post was from 2005 but I am also looking for someone who lived at 2 Smilter Lane, Pitsmoor, Sheffield. This was in 1917. Was the Sheffield Union Workhouse  there in 1917?

I am doing the family tree and originate from Dinnington, Near Sheffield. There is one member of the family who is very hard to find. I have a birth certificate showing that a Mary "Lizzie" Platts had a daughter, May Platts born in 1917, and address is 2 Smilter Lane, Pitsmoor, Sheffield. May's mother, Mary "Lizzie" Platts, is a mystery to all the family. No-one knew she lived there. Can anyone tell me about the Workhouse? Would she have lived there or just go there to have the child? As I said she is a mystery to all the family.

Also can anyone tell me how to find out the electoral roles for 1917 - Talbot Street, Sheffield?

Any info on the above will be great.

Lesley0206

2 Smilter Lane would have been the postal address of the hospital.

This woman is a mystery to all the family. At least we are a step further to finding out about her life . No one knows what age she left home or where she lived. Well that is until we found the birth certificate for the daughter May Platts. Of course there is no fathers name.

Thank you for the info.

2 Smilter Lane was the address of the old workhouse. It was a workhouse until 1930 then part of it became the Fir Vale Infirmary and many death records state 2 Herries Rd as place of death. Now the Northern General hospital. 

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Sheffield/

Smilter Lane and Herries Road at Barnsley Road would be Firvale not Pitsmoor.

Old thread I know, but Number 2 Smilter lane was the address of the poor hospital. It was considered a stigma to put the title Sheffield Union Hospital or Fir Vale Hospital because of it's long connection to the work house. If you couldn't afford to pay for proper medical treatment, you went there.

Realise this is an old post originally but it came up when I searched "2 Smelter Lane" which I found on my GF's birth cert as his mother's residence, and the place of birth. This is 1921.  So - does that mean she was living there in the workhouse, and gave birth to him in the (children's?) hospital there? Some photos on the workhouse site show a "lying in ward" tho granted that was before 1900.  She was supposedly working in service in Limb Street but I can't find any such place in Sheffield.  He was later adopted but as this was before official adoption, I'm obviously at a brick wall which seems to be surrounding me.

There is  a Limb Lane at Dore in Sheffield

20 hours ago, beanfan66 said:

Realise this is an old post originally but it came up when I searched "2 Smelter Lane" which I found on my GF's birth cert as his mother's residence, and the place of birth. This is 1921.  So - does that mean she was living there in the workhouse, and gave birth to him in the (children's?) hospital there? Some photos on the workhouse site show a "lying in ward" tho granted that was before 1900.  She was supposedly working in service in Limb Street but I can't find any such place in Sheffield.  He was later adopted but as this was before official adoption, I'm obviously at a brick wall which seems to be surrounding me.

Could it be Lime Street?

I know - more time has passed - doesn't it always!   I ended up getting a copy of GF's original birth cert and it turns out the address (for mum) was mis-transcribed - it was Sims Street (not Limb St). Still doesn't help me understand WHAT she was doing at 2 Smilter Lane when she gave birth to him and maybe I'll never know .... I did look at a baptism register (thank you Sheffield Archives)) for the "workhouse" but sadly no record of him in that either.  

I went to a church in Hope today where she was baptised.  I have no clue why this took place there as no connections to the area ... more digging to do!