Sheffield - when began?

It would be historically interesting to know why and when Sheffield actually began - actually, I suppose as a city or town.

Who named it sheffield and what were the bounderies, and why?

Certainly this place called "Sheffield" had a beginning, then added other places like Attercliffe, Pitsmoor, etc.

I would really like the know more than I already do.

Thanks, sh:):):)

i think it was called "Escafeld" in the early days, but this is the forum and im sure someone will say different.

Like a heck of a lot of places, the 1st mention of Sheffield (Escafeld) is in the Doomsday book.

Sheffield was invented by the council in the 1930s. it started off as a big, scrunched up ball of cling film just left of Lancaster but then rolled down to where it is located now.

it is a little known fact that when it was created it was actually five kilometres higher up in the air than it is now and no one knows the reason why.

the first ever goldfish was invented in sheffield, fact!

It would be historically interesting to know why and when Sheffield actually began - actually, I suppose as a city or town.

Who named it sheffield and what were the bounderies, and why?

Certainly this place called "Sheffield" had a beginning, then added other places like Attercliffe, Pitsmoor, etc.

I would really like the know more than I already do.

Thanks, sh:):):)

Are you asking forummers to give you the information? Perhaps you could visit our museum and absorb some knowledge and then ask us about any gaps. The forum seems to be a victim of its own success. People don't appear to Google any more, they just post questions on here.

And there's always someone willing to provide an answer.

Be rude not to.

Are you asking forummers to give you the information? Perhaps you could visit our museum and absorb some knowledge and then ask us about any gaps. The forum seems to be a victim of its own success. People don't appear to Google any more, they just post questions on here.

Is that Weston Park Museum?

As I understand it, after god had finished making the world in 6 days on the 7th he pointed to where the River Sheaf and the River Don joined and said this is the centre of the universe - this is Sheffield

As I understand it, after god had finished making the world in 6 days on the 7th he pointed to where the River Sheaf and the River Don joined and said this is the centre of the universe - this is Sheffield

that's about right :)