Rutland Arms Fined in Sex Discrimination Case

I for one am happy that she found the strength to speak out about this, and I don’t just mean for the money.

Edited by madi_faye

Nobody on the thread, including me, knows the facts about this case. Nobody.

Many of the posts are conjecture and ill-informed insults, including from some who should know better. I can only vouch as a woman who frequently wears extremely revealing clothing that Andy is one of the least lecherous men I have ever met and none of the staff have ever behaved in a lecherous way towards me despite my attire. There is no culture of sexism or bullying at The Rutland Arms, it is all a complete fairy tale spun by manipulative and self-serving people.

In my experience (which is wide and varied) if men are grubby and lecherous enough to behave in the way the accuser has stated, it is never just reserved to one female and always spills over to many. For these reasons it is patently obvious to me that this woman has misused the justice system to make a fast buck. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened. In fact there's a notorious case going on right now where a manipulative woman is accused of perverting the course of justice (Rebekah Brooks.)

The staff at The Rutland Arms are happy, dignified, polite, considerate and courteous, every single one of them. It is currently not only one of the best pubs in Sheffield but by far the best pub in Sheffield because it is so brilliantly run and it is also independent without the heavily branded footprint of a large brewery all over its decor and beermats. The Rutland Arms has done so much for both Sheffield CAMRA (it won CAMRA pub of the month in January 2010 and that is not an easily won accolade, pubs are judged on far more than beer alone) and Sheffield, providing a hub for people working and living in the city centre, especially for Sheffield's thriving creative community, many of whom are young, vulnerable female art students, who I see time and again in The Rutland, even drinking on their own sometimes such is the atmosphere of safety and comfort in there.

Andy and his team deserve your support for helping Sheffield, not your blinkered and sheep-like thoughtless derision. When I first read of this grubby manipulative slander against them, it moved me to tears because what has happened is completely unjust and unfair. And I'm speaking as a staunch feminist who tirelessly campaigns for women's rights on Facebook and in my novels but am wise enough not to be flailing hysterically over any screeching bandwagon the minute a female makes a negative allegation against a male. More than sticking up for fellow women, I believe in sticking up for the truth.

Well done thank you for that. I have always found the rutland very respectable and a good atmosphere.

I cannot see how a few odd comments, which I dont believe for one minuite, justifies the amount of compensation she has got. People are motivated purely by money and greed these days.

How come nobody seems to trust court verdicts? Any doubt and he`d have got off.

And btw I`ve been in 4 or 5 times and never been enamoured with the service or the ale. Nice food though.

People dont trust court verdicts because the inocent always get found guilty and the guilty get let off scott free. I have lost track of the amount of celebrities Mr Loophole has let off on a technicallity for driving offiences (which have included speeding at excesses we could only dream about).

This woman clearly isnt doing if for justice just the whopping compensation that she has recieved. What damages justify this level of compensation when you see war veterans suffering from depression coming back from Afganistan get lots less (if any at all).

People are motivated purely by money and greed these days.

Did she ask for the money she was awarded though?

She probably just wanted her unpaid wages.

This thread is very amusing though. It started off slating the girl. But as soon as White Rose started to defend the landlord everyone's changed and now he's the baddie. :)

I don't know who is right, who is wrong. I do drink in a lot of real ale pubs and the management and customers are usually "a cut above" the type who drink in the Carling / John Smiths type pubs.

I cannot see how a few odd comments, which I dont believe for one minuite, justifies the amount of compensation she has got. People are motivated purely by money and greed these days.

Or, perhaps people have the right to work in an environment where they aren't harassed or belittled, and the amount of compensation sends out a strong message affirming that.

But it obviously didn't happen anyway, what with your word clearly being more reliable than that of any court.

Or, perhaps people have the right to work in an environment where they aren't harassed or belittled, and the amount of compensation sends out a strong message affirming that.

But it obviously didn't happen anyway, what with your word clearly being more reliable than that of any court.

Courts do make mistakes. They are not perfect. I could be wrong or could be right. I just get annoyed with the legal system where people have come back from Afganistan and Iraq suffering depression because of what they have seen out there. Friends killed in battle. Civilians dying and they get very little. I get annoyed when celebrities speed around at death causing speeds and get away with it.

Yet this woman has a few offensive comments thrown in her general direction and gets this.

i think everyone agrees that if he did what is alleged, it's wrong - though knowing Andy I doubt it was anything other than a bit of banter

what has really annoyed a lot of people (me included) is the sum awarded? Even if she did have to quit her job, how is that worth 10 grand? just another symptom of our ever-increasing compensation culture...

i think everyone agrees that if he did what is alleged, it's wrong - though knowing Andy I doubt it was anything other than a bit of banter

what has really annoyed a lot of people (me included) is the sum awarded? Even if she did have to quit her job, how is that worth 10 grand? just another symptom of our ever-increasing compensation culture...

Spot on couldnt agree more.

Truth is no one knows exactly what went on, other than the two people involved, not even the judge.

Where in criminal law there is a need to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused is guilty. In employment law discrimination cases, the burden of proof seems to rest with the employer to prove that it did not take place.

I find it interesting (see quotes below) that the judge uses words such as "possibility", "may have been" and "more than likely". Such language would never be used regarding a guilty verdict in a criminal case.

Employment judge John Trayler said: "There is a possibility the claimant may have been referred to by Mr Stephens as 'little tits' either as part of banter which had gone too far or a nickname which had been initiated but not stuck."

He added: "There was nothing which might have been misconceived or misinterpreted by Miss Broughton. We think it more than likely than not that the claimant's version is correct."

Edited by Tuffty

Banter is mutual, harassment is not. Besides, this landlord was in a position of power and was abusing that position to make wholly inappropriate personal remarks and comments which the recipient found intimidating. Good for her for pursuing it, I say.

It's a deterrent. Even if it was made in jest in this case, it might stop arseholes behaving in a similar manner.

oh well, if beer in the Rutland goes up 10p a pint we'll know why...