Asda Chaucer - A few months on.

Only been in Chavsda 3 times and hated the bloody place. Much prefer to go to Morrisons or Asda at Chapeltown.

As for the staff at Chavsda, I get really concerned when people buy razor blades that the staff on the checkouts are going to open the packet and slit their wrists they look that depressed

"Asda is OK, the staff are friendlier. My server last Friday was asking everyone 'have you just finished work?', she must get bored of saying the same thing "

the staff at our local asda ask you if you would like your bags packed, how your day was etc,, couldnt be friendlyer.

The staff are friendly and.................

Oh wait that's it.

It was a wasted opportunity, I expected a mega ASDA but all we got was one the same size (if not a little smaller) than Chapeltown.

The fresh food goes off really quickly, and getting in is a gauntlet on the roundabout of death.

Other than that it's perfect.

The staff are friendly and.................

Oh wait that's it.

It was a wasted opportunity, I expected a mega ASDA but all we got was one the same size (if not a little smaller) than Chapeltown.

The fresh food goes off really quickly, and getting in is a gauntlet on the roundabout of death.

Other than that it's perfect.

Ah, the key phrase there. YOU expected a mega Asda. They never made that suggestion when they were building it. Lots of people on here were banging on about how it was going to be as big as handsworth over two floors etc etc.... That was all rumour too. ASDA never said that. They built it exactly as they planned. It was all clear on the website what is was going to look like.

The roundabout is not gauntlet. I have to cross it four times a day and have never yet seen one accident. The lanes are clearly marked and anyone driving at the appropriate speed with their eyes open can get round safely.

As far these predictable comments about BMX chavs all gathering round the entrance its completely nonsense. I always shop there and hardly see any "gangs" of chavs hanging around. I prefer it much more to Morrisons. The opening hours are better, the car park is well lit and under cover, the store is better laid out and far quicker to get round, the checkouts always seem to be well staffed and efficient. Cant say I have any of that at Morrisons.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Really?

I would say that the Chaucer Asda is at least 50% bigger than the one at Chapeltown, maybe even double the size.

Regards

Doom

Ah, the key phrase there. YOU expected a mega Asda. They never made that suggestion when they were building it. Lots of people on here were banging on about how it was going to be as big as handsworth over two floors etc etc.... That was all rumour too. ASDA never said that. They built it exactly as they planned. It was all clear on the website what is was going to look like.

The roundabout is not gauntlet. I have to cross it four times a day and have never yet seen one accident. The lanes are clearly marked and anyone driving at the appropriate speed with their eyes open can get round safely.

As far these predictable comments about BMX chavs all gathering round the entrance its completely nonsense. I always shop there and hardly see any "gangs" of chavs hanging around. I prefer it much more to Morrisons. The opening hours are better, the car park is well lit and under cover, the store is better laid out and far quicker to get round, the checkouts always seem to be well staffed and efficient. Cant say I have any of that at Morrisons.

You are very fortunate then, because I have personally seen three smashes on it, not including the one I had, where by the way, my eyes were wide open and I was rear ended by a woman in the wrong lane who tried cutting me up.

I nearly got hit a second time (only by swerving did I avoid it) and I see a near miss at least once a week. And I use it twice a day at most.

I take your point about the mega ASDA, that's fair enough, and I've not personally witnessed the 'chavs' either. But the fresh food quality is poor in comparison with Morrisons and the ASDA at Chapeltown (or certainly the fresh food I buy) is.

Really?

I would say that the Chaucer Asda is at least 50% bigger than the one at Chapeltown, maybe even double the size.

Regards

Doom

Maybe I'm a bad judge of size? Or maybe Chapeltown cram more in, it seems smaller to me.

Im very sorry for you accidents but as you have used in one of your descriptions the words "cutting you up" would you say that more about the drivers rather than the roundabout.

After all the same thing happens reguarly on Park Square and University roundabouts. Cant blame the lane markings for that either.

I do agree with your points on fresh food but I suppose its all about supply and demand. Maybe these particular Asda shoppers are more into the frozen stuff.

Im very sorry for you accidents but as you have used in one of your descriptions the words "cutting you up" would you say that more about the drivers rather than the roundabout.

After all the same thing happens reguarly on Park Square and University roundabouts. Cant blame the lane markings for that either.

I do agree with your points on fresh food but I suppose its all about supply and demand. Maybe these particular Asda shoppers are more into the frozen stuff.

Alas I don't use the other roundabouts you mention so I don't know.

Of the roundabouts I do use (which are all roughly the same size as the ASDA one) that seems by far the most dangerous. I wasn't criticizing the road markings, I don't have a problem with them, I merely said running the gauntlet - sorry if you thought I meant the markings. I'm sure even the worst designed roundabout is only dangerous when there are road users on it - so it stands to reason (at least my reasoning :hihi: ) that I meant the drivers.

As the Asda on Chaucer road has been open a few months, what's everyone's thoughts of the place now?

I have been a fair few times since it opened, being my closest supermarket, but recently have found myself putting a few bits in the trolley, realising its really gone downhill and going to Morrison's instead.

IMO the place has gone downhill due to a few reasons:

Chavs - The place is inundated with them, they smell, they're stupid and in general annoying.

The fresh selection is crap, the stuff they do stock is poor quality, and often they don't even have stock left (I imagine the target clientèle don't cook too much).

They stock far too much frozen stuff (feels like a Jack Fultons), and of this frozen stuff its mostly crap ready meals (again probably due to the target clientèle).

The dwindling checkout operators, and the idiots who have to try and use the self service but can barely read.

The stupid escalators, out of the 2 going up why can't one specifically be for trolleys??

What's everyone else's thoughts?

I go most Saturdays, only for a few items but the store and staff is fine enough. Alot of the issues you have appear to be the other shoppers, you can't expect a store to ban people because they don't meet your standards.

I'm glad it opened not only for a local place to shop but for the local jobs, speaking with a few of the staff they enjoy their jobs and some really are friendly.

Regarding the travelator, if you cant be patient and wait the 40 seconds it takes to travel well you really mush be hard pushed for time (like a fella who I have seen who actually picked up his trolly and ran up carrying it!).