England Euro 2012 - Megathread

He is still useless - any manager with any of football brain would have seen us in the semi-finals. Italy didn't deserve to win. We deserved to lose. 20 years ago Denmark had even less time to prepare for the tournament and how did they do?

So you're trying to suggest that it is not serious disadvantage not have any time to prepare the team that has been decimated with injuries and players refusing to be in the squad. You're delusional if you believe that England could have done any better than they did at this tournament.

Well, England got well and truly trounced today, totally deserved to lose after that shambles, it was an Italian knock around, I will say this though, I can take some gratitude as an Owl knowing that they at least were top dogs this season and took their chances, shame that couldn't be said about England and the Blades lolol

Exactly. I was wondering why Ashley Cole took one when he has not scored in 92 other appearances.

Ashley Cole has been a really good penalty taker in shootouts for Chelsea, so I guess that was why he was chosen.

Well, England got well and truly trounced today, totally deserved to lose after that shambles, it was an Italian knock around, I will say this though, I can take some gratitude as an Owl knowing that they at least were top dogs this season and took their chances, shame that couldn't be said about England and the Blades lolol

we played ok int he first half, made them look average, then they came at us...but we held them

penalties was our undoing yet again

Useless Roy? He has done far better than most people have expected him to. Taking a team that he's only had a matter of weeks to prepare, a team that's decimated by injuries to a penalty kick away from a semi final appearance is a fantastic achievement by the manager.

Spot on JFK, I like the man, he's intelligent and sincere and I think he's done the best with the limited resources on offer.

Why? Ashley Cole is usually really good at taking penalties.

Useless Roy? He has done far better than most people have expected him to. Taking a team that he's only had a matter of weeks to prepare, a team that's decimated by injuries to a penalty kick away from a semi final appearance is a fantastic achievement by the manager.

Were you watching a different game? Did you not see the pathetic attempt that Cole called a penalty?

As for Hodgeson..................you obviously do not follow football.............!We scraped a win against Sweden with a dodgy decision! How can you defend a Manager who is still playing Gerard when he has done nothing,he is simply living off his past history and is on a free ride!

You're delusional if you believe that England could have done any better than they did at this tournament.

Anyone who know the slightest thing about Italian football knows Pirlo is their main and most important player. He is the only one that makes things happen. Anyone with even half a football brain would have picked someone to shadow him thus completely taking him out the game.

So you're trying to suggest that it is not serious disadvantage not have any time to prepare the team that has been decimated with injuries and players refusing to be in the squad.

And were Denmark at a greater disadvantage when two weeks before the tournament in 1992 they didn't have a squad?

Edited by CheekyBandit

So you're trying to suggest that it is not serious disadvantage not have any time to prepare the team that has been decimated with injuries and players refusing to be in the squad. You're delusional if you believe that England could have done any better than they did at this tournament.

I'm afraid you are the delusional one...............he has got the players to go through to the next round ...............he just simply didn't play them...........a better manager would have! He has been in English football for years,he knows english footballers,he sees them week in-week out,why does he need more time?

Were you watching a different game? Did you not see the pathetic attempt that Cole called a penalty?

As for Hodgeson..................you obviously do not follow football.............!We scraped a win against Sweden with a dodgy decision! How can you defend a Manager who is still playing Gerard when he has done nothing,he is simply living off his past history and is on a free ride!

So Cole took a poor penalty, that doesn't change the fact that he has been a really good penalty taker for Chelsea in shootouts, so to suggest that he shouldn't have taken one is wrong.

Also I think that Gerard had his best tournemont for England. It's ironic that you talk of football knowledge when you cannot seem to realise that we lost to a team that was better than us, and one that played a lot Breyer than us on the night.

Don't get too depressed, we had a young team, and I can really see this team gaining something from this experience and improving our performances in the future.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

I'm afraid you are the delusional one...............he has got the players to go through to the next round ...............he just simply didn't play them...........a better manager would have! He has been in English football for years,he knows english footballers,he sees them week in-week out,why does he need more time?

It's not what knowledge he can gain from the players, it's all about what knowledge he can pass on to the team.