Car insurance prices!!

Have you tryed moneysupermarket comparison site,in my opinion its the best for car insurance,a company called allianz is possibly the cheapest.We were paying 72 quid a month with one company i shall not mention, but we switched to the other one and now pay 32 quid a month for the same cover..These insurance companies are beyond belief, and how can they expect first time drivers to pay exorbitant prices,in my opinion they are very greedy..Try Allianz though they are top,and by far the cheapest.

Tesco online- My lass has just passed and her insurance was roughly coming up at 1800-3000 on the comparison sites. Went on tescos website directly and you get so much % off for doing it online and also so much % if you put a clubcard number in (this made a significant difference).... Shes 23 and has 1.4 peugeot 206 and her quote was £884!!! Definatly worth a try pal!

what's wrong with getting a job which doesn't need a car, or indeed has one provided?

and how will the state collapsing make the situation better?

If working does not make you better off than dole, you might aswell be on dole and have free time to read a book or take a walk in the yet to be privatised local park.

Ideally you get onto DLA and get a car anyhow.

If working does not make you better off than dole, you might aswell be on dole and have free time to read a book or take a walk in the yet to be privatised local park.

Ideally you get onto DLA and get a car anyhow.

Another bit of sound advice from you,and very sarcastic..Being on DLA doesnt entitle everyone to a car, you should catch up on your homework.

Most young drivers generally have to just grit their teeth and pay, I know I did, and I still am. When I passed (Although I was 17 at the time) I was given a 1.2 by the parents, only to the value of a few hundred quid, but at the time the cheapest possible option was £2.5k, as much as it pained me to pay the £200/month I just had to in order to get the no claims. With the same car, and with 2 years NCB and 3 years experience (With pass plus too) Admiral sent me a renewal of £1200, still high, but nothing I couldn't afford.

I got rid of the car, and am now looking for another, with the same criteria given above I'll give you an example of some of the prices I've had, some cars I've been ambitious with.

Toyota Celica 1.8 - £188/month - not bad, but they wanted £500 deposit :o

Golf GTI (Only group 10) - in excess of 3k

Subaru Impreza 2lTurbo (just to see) - in excess of 4k

Bit more sensible now

Golf 1.6 - £145/month

Ford Fiesta 1.4Zetec - £140/month

VW Bora TDI (130bhp) - £198/month

I know at the age of 21 I'm considered a massive risk to myself an everyone that comes within 40 miles of me when I'm behind the wheel, but £140/month for a car that moves slowly than some ice bergs is still stupid as far as I'm concerned.

Rupert - Thanks for the long answer. However, I have to disagree with you. You simply cannot class everyone at the age of 21 to be in the peak accident bracket - this is mad. I am not denying the fact that there some 21 year old idiots out there that do go around having bumps and smashes but you cannot tie everyone with the same brush. I also find it slightly patronising that you tell me to go on an advanced driving course! Why should people under the age of 25 have to pay a premium on everything - I think its ridiculous and should be changed! Everyone should pay the same on everything until peoples individual circumstances change (e.g until someone has a crash)!

Apologies for the rant but thanks for all the other responses!

chem1st - your posts are funny and I can see your reasoning behind them! Unfortunately I am not in the position to 'go on the dole' as I have been an employer since the day I left school and I am now responsible for over 300 people. I have only just took my driving test as I am stubborn about paying these prices and I need a car for business reasons. I do feel sorry for the people that work for us on low income. It is literally impossible for some of my guys to be paying these prices as some of the premiums are 1/3 of their wage! Something has to change!

We've all been there and had to pay higher prices when we first started driving, the problem nowadays is any slightest accident a garage will put in the cost of repairs just below the price for the car to be a write off.

And on top of that more and more people claiming for whiplash injuries when there's nothing wrong with them, hence extortionate prices.

Another bit of sound advice from you,and very sarcastic..Being on DLA doesnt entitle everyone to a car, you should catch up on your homework.

"higher rate mobility component of" then, if we are to be pedantic.

Now now come on ladies!

This is one reason why insurance prices are so high, FRAUDULANT CLAIMS. See this video about staged accidents

I can remember when I passed my driving test in the early seventies. Insurance way back then was ridiculously expensive. Taking inflation into account, it was probably on a par with the cost of young drivers of today. So I don't agree with the theory of "well it's all the false claims...etc". It's profiteering by the insurance companies.

Ok, hands up, who's ever had a renewal quote, which was far in excess of last years cost? Answer: We all have. Simply because insurance companies know that 'some' people will ring them up and give them an ear bending. But a lot of people just pay up, and dont say anything.

Is that not an example of profiteering?