Register as a puppeteer

Hello everyone. I have many fond memories of being at birthday parties as a child. The jelly, iced-cream, choc ices, cheese, and party games, etc. I remember one time at a girl called Gemma's party near Attercliffe they had a magician but he was wearing football clothes. Really really weird! Anyway, I was having my memories just the other day and I remembered being at a party and a man was there doing a puppet show with these creatures from TV called Sooty, Sweepy and Susan. It really made me and my friends happy but I've forgotten it all. Until now that is! What memories! Me and my friend was in the pub (Devvy Cat) the other day and we started talking about this kind of thing and we came to an idea - what if we actually became puppeteers? Well yes we thought. We could entertain people at the seaside, etc or in the Peace Gardens on a really sunny day. OK, so we need some puppets first of all (any suggestion? we looked at a shop called Rocky Horrors but couldn't really find anything suitable). Also, does anyone know I would register as a puppeteer?

What sort of puppets are you wanting to do? Marionettes, Ventriloquist, Rod arm puppets etc?

Also, does anyone know I would register as a puppeteer?

You need a license?

What sort of puppets are you wanting to do? Marionettes, Ventriloquist, Rod arm puppets etc?

I don't know what these words mean. I suppose I just want normal puppets, like the sort you can entertain people with. Sooty is one, and there are things like Thundercats, Punch & Judy, but also modern day puppets such as Sponged Bob Square Pants and Captain Petrol etc. Any more info about any of these would be great.

I don't know what these words mean. .

Good to see you are serious about it and have done some research first :rolleyes:

So you'd be on the Puppeteer Register. It sounds wrong somehow.

OK, I've been doing some Googles to find out a bit more about some of these words that have been mentioned (maisonette, ventriloquism etc) and I have found out a bit more about my ideas. I've got a brilliant idea. I could actually be a schoolworker (working with puppets in schools) to learn the children all about things like road safety and fireworks etc. Not only will I be making people entertainment but I'll be doing good for the society too. I think with a bit of determination I could get this all set up within 4 or 5 years.

I don't think there's an actual register as such but obviously you've got to have something before starting. Not just any person can say "Hello I am a doctor" and start dishing out aspirin etc etc. They've got to do a course and get a certificate etc. Obviously!!!

Error! My internet is being odd.

Error! My internet is being odd.

This whole thread is being odd. And you're the oddest part of it.

I don't think there's an actual register as such but obviously you've got to have something before starting. Not just any person can say "Hello I am a doctor" and start dishing out aspirin etc etc. They've got to do a course and get a certificate etc. Obviously!!!

A doctor is hardly comparable to a puppeteer or any other form of childrens entertainer.

If you intend to work with children, you will need a CRB check. I don't think there are any puppeteer courses or qualifications as such, although you may find a group you can join somewhere for practice and experience.

Stick to the Devvy Cat.

I don't know what these words mean. I suppose I just want normal puppets, like the sort you can entertain people with. Sooty is one, and there are things like Thundercats, Punch & Judy, but also modern day puppets such as Sponged Bob Square Pants and Captain Petrol etc. Any more info about any of these would be great.

It would be very hard to use glove puppets in a school assembly. I stopped using puppets to do assemblies a few years back! When I did use them I used the larger Muppet style puppets.

Maybe it's time for me to get them out of the box again?