How many horses will die at Aintree?

How many horses will die at Aintree 2012?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How many horses will die at Aintree 2012?

• 1 / 2
    • 3 / 4
    • 4 / 5
    • more

Italian footballer Piermario Morosini died today of an heart attack on the pitch in Italy, a great athlete apparently. Very sad news that is being over shaddowed by the deaths of two horses, i repeat, HORSES!!!

As for the consent argument, no one really makes the horses hooves go one infront of the other at the start of any race, other than the horses themselves...they can be stubborn animals as todays race has seen.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/italian-footballer-piermario-morosini-dies-after-collapsing-on-pitch-1-2235093

No it's not! It's on every news channel, with tributes and dedications. If you go look in the football section I wouldn't be surprised to bet there is a thread on for condolences.

It's you who is making a mockery of deaths. Shame on you!

I really hate to see how many horses die in the sport of racing. I think that a percentage of the money made by the sport should be put into research on how the number of injuries and deaths of both horses and jockeys could be reduced by adaptations to courses, surfaces and jumps.

But this is the bit I don't understand. Why do we need to research making it safer? It's not an endeavour that our very existence is dependent upon, it's an unnecessary industry that is incompatible with our purportedly animal-loving society.

I agree with your points regarding greyhound racing, which I would ban in a heartbeat

Frankly the posts above are talkling lots of nuggets to put it mildly. The horses are not exploited, they are bred for the sport, if you can't see that they love it then you are deluded.

So, a child abused and raped since a very early age, are you saying that since they have been brought up this way that they should accept it, like it and deserve it?

But this is the bit I don't understand. Why do we need to research making it safer? It's not an endeavour that our very existence is dependent upon, it's an unnecessary industry that is incompatible with our purportedly animal-loving society.

I agree with your points regarding greyhound racing, which I would ban in a heartbeat

I agree that it is not a necessity. I just think that if the racing industry wants to justify their existence then the responsibility is on them to take the initiative to clean their own house. If they claim to care about the animals then keeping those animals healthy should be their priority, not making money. The same applies to greyhound racing, and if deaths were not so much rarer in show jumping and three day eventing I'd include them too.

If the animals are being bred specifically to compete in these sports then it needs to be mandatory for their needs to be met when they are retired and that should be at the cost of the industry or the breeder/trainer too- and that doesn't include killing them when they are no longer fit to make money. The responsibility for this should not fall to the ILPH, Retired Greyhound Trust and the like- the charities only exist because of the pitiful efforts made by the racing industry in the past.

So, a child abused and raped since a very early age, are you saying that since they have been brought up this way that they should accept it, like it and deserve it?

Errrrr what ?

That's hardly comparing like with like, is it? A rather extreme argument and completely off topic.

Back on topic please.

This is just stupid. Bears no resemblence to this discussion. Plain silly.

This is just stupid. Bears no resemblence to this discussion. Plain silly.

It's a comparison about rearing and ownership. Deny it if you want, but you are still wrong!

That's hardly comparing like with like, is it? A rather extreme argument and completely off topic.

Back on topic please.

No it is valid!

It's purposefully extreme to highlight that just because someone breads something that they don't have absolute right over it.

BTW, Lower Walkley has just PM'd me trying to get me to meet him to "discuss" this! How do I report this flaming troll!

It's a comparison about rearing and ownership. Deny it if you want, but you are still wrong!

Did you miss my request to get back on topic above?

This is not a valid comparison and is obviously just posted to be inflammatory.

EDIT- Nobody is claiming that one has absolute right over an animal that you have bred (we have laws about that sort of thing) but above all else, nobody else is discussing sexual abuse, and whether you like it or not there is a difference between humans and animals.

Did you miss my request to get back on topic above?

This is not a valid comparison and is obviously just posted to be inflammatory.

Please, go back and read some of Lower Walkleys flammers!

No it is valid!

It's purposefully extreme to highlight that just because someone breads something that they don't have absolute right over it.

BTW, Lower Walkley has just PM'd me trying to get me to meet him to "discuss" this! How do I report this flaming troll!

I'll hold both your handbags.