BT Infinity goes 80/20 from tomorrow

walkerx

It is going to be a hard sell at £35.50/month when BT are doing the free upgrade.

Granted BT are advertising as 76Mbit when Origin are offering potentially 100Mbit, but that is just it - potentially.

It is comparable perhaps to BTs 100Mbit, except I believe that is FTTP so should be guaranteed 100Mbit (yet oddly is still marketed as up to 100Mbit) which is not something Origin can do.

I don't want to know what THAT will cost!

At the end of the day we are reaching the point where the size of the connection to the Internet is irrelevant, because too many providers are only catering for the lowest common denominator.

It really winds me up that I can only download from PSN at 5Mbit and Xbox Live at 17Mbit. YouTube STILL goes through periods where everything stalls. It seems the very people we are upgrading to improve our connections with, do not have the infrastructure to support us.

after the initial issues with placing my order to upgrade i've now manged to get the order rectified and upgrade for the 80/20 service with estimated speed of 70/20 so could be more seeing i'm already syncing at 40mb with a profile of 38.xx - this should hopefully be completed within 3 working days if there are no problems

I don't want to know what THAT will cost!

At the end of the day we are reaching the point where the size of the connection to the Internet is irrelevant, because too many providers are only catering for the lowest common denominator.

It really winds me up that I can only download from PSN at 5Mbit and Xbox Live at 17Mbit. YouTube STILL goes through periods where everything stalls. It seems the very people we are upgrading to improve our connections with, do not have the infrastructure to support us.

Psn has always been rubbish for dl especially if you're on wireless

Psn has always been rubbish for dl especially if you're on wireless

I dropped the PS3 wireless ages ago because while it didn't seem to cause me speed issues when downloading from Playstation Store, it DID seem to cause seriously slow downloads and dreadful latency in Playstation Home. I mean how crazy is this, just now I tested what I'm getting and its 8Mbit from the Store but 12Mbit in Playstation Home, go figure.

It makes me laugh that the PS3 has a Gigabit ethernet port yet NOTHING can utlilise it. You can't even say its for streaming as the DLNA max bitrate supported for playback is something like 25Mbit. It seems it was 100% put there for bragging rights.

Well perhaps it was put there for use in Linux, how ironic that they pulled support for the only thing which "might" have been able to utilise the full Gigabit speeds.

Even the PS3s USB speeds are terrible. When doing a backup of my Vita to the PS3, around 20GB of data, it took around 3 hours! Its not necessarily the Vita memory card speed either, as doing a backup of the PS3 to an external HDD is not much faster either. Bearing in mind the same HDD on a PC is literally about 100 times faster. Mind you, you can't even backup the Xbox 360 HDD at all, so I should count my blessings I suppose.

Archived