BT Infinity goes 80/20 from tomorrow

walkerx

DR going and UPTO 120/40(ish) from 1st May.

So long as your under 200mtrs from your cab you should get close to this looking at their website.

and which website is that? as on the digital region website it states the following

Superfast

The Digital Region network currently has an average download speed of 37Mbps, over six times faster than the UK average (reported by OFCOM). Upload speeds are an impressive 13 Mbps which means the network is truly superfast.

What’s more, speeds of 40 – 100 Mbps will soon be available on the network making South Yorkshire one of the best connected regions in the UK.

i can't see any date mentioned of when they are going to increase the speeds - i know they are currently trialling faster speeds

and which website is that? as on the digital region website it states the following

i can't see any date mentioned of when they are going to increase the speeds - i know they are currently trialling faster speeds

The origin website, they will allow you to go as fast as your line will handle.

http://www.origin-broadband.co.uk/our-services/origin-max/

The origin website, they will allow you to go as fast as your line will handle.

http://www.origin-broadband.co.uk/our-services/origin-max/

that is an ISP on the network, who is advertising the new service and not DR as you made out to be were advertising this.

also if they state they can supply over 100mb this would suggest they are bypassing 17a profile (max 100mb) and moving straight to 30a (max 200mb)

that is an ISP on the network, who is advertising the new service and not DR as you made out to be were advertising this.

also if they state they can supply over 100mb this would suggest they are bypassing 17a profile (max 100mb) and moving straight to 30a (max 200mb)

Well if an ISP on the network is providing this then the network(DR) is providing this!!

So if I live close enough to the box (100mts) I may well receive over 120.

Well if an ISP on the network is providing this then the network(DR) is providing this!!

So if I live close enough to the box (100mts) I may well receive over 120.

Yes, DR wil have the DSLAMS enabled for the full connection, but your original post did not state where you got your information from and thus is misleading to many.

If you had stated that from 1st may, origin broadband one of the isp's on the digital region network will be providing a new service which will give you the maximum theoritical speed for your line then i would not have queried your post.

But yes the closer you will be the better connection you will get, hopefully depending on equipment you get you might be able to see if you are on the 17a or 30a profile

But yes the closer you will be the better connection you will get, hopefully depending on equipment you get you might be able to see if you are on the 17a or 30a profile

It's still a cellpipe + tenda router, cellpipe is still locked as far as I'm aware so no querying the data..

I'm pretty sure I did read somewhere it was 17a they were only able to switch to..

Its definitely 17a as the networks had to go to OFCOM to get permission to use it. I would think 30a would need different permission as it has to pass tests to ensure it will not interfere with other current technologies on the telephone network. This is the same reason VDSL is not allowed in the telephone exchange, they fear the higher frequencies could interfere with equipment in the exchange so its limited to ADSL2+ only.

The 120Mbit confusion was caused by a speed test Origin did in their office. We can only assume it was a glitch as I have looked all over and EVERY site says 17a is 100Mbit max, including the product pages for every VDSL router I could find.

You also have to consider that the Digital Region network was designed and built with the Cellpipe in mind. The Cellpipes only have 100Mbit ethernet ports, so if they had designed the network to support faster than 100Mbit, you would think they would have used a router with Gigabit ethernet ports rather than having to throw away all their existing equipment. Although it is obviously possible theoretically to have 100MBit for your Internet and one of the other ports on the Cellpipe used for IPTV.

However I would highly suspect that the DSLAMs can't even handle 30a as when I heard Digital Region was coming to my area I called them up to discuss it. I was reeling off everything I had read about the theoretical top speeds of VDSL2 and they mentioned something about them not supporting the top speed due to the hardware being much more expensive than what they had used. I was worried they meant we would only ever get 60Mbit, however now we know its 17a capable it would make sense that they actually meant 30a.

After all, its going to be a small percentage who are close enough to get the full 100Mbit, so spending more on the network build in order to get an even smaller percentage of customers on 30a, wouldn't have made any sense.

There comes a point where due to how few customers would be in range, you are better off advising any customer who wants faster they will have to pay for FTTP or get a second line. I mean really, what could we possibly think of that needs more than 100Mbit? Many people will be using WiFi equipment anyway and very few WiFi configurations can handle real-world speeds of 100Mbit. Even on my Gigabit LAN, 99% of the time 100MBit would be sufficient.

Its blowing my mind to think that not so many years ago I had a 10Mbit LAN.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Its definitely 17a as the networks had to go to OFCOM to get permission to use it. I would think 30a would need different permission as it has to pass tests to ensure it will not interfere with other current technologies on the telephone network. This is the same reason VDSL is not allowed in the telephone exchange, they fear the higher frequencies could interfere with equipment in the exchange so its limited to ADSL2+ only.

The 120Mbit confusion was caused by a speed test Origin did in their office. We can only assume it was a glitch as I have looked all over and EVERY site says 17a is 100Mbit max, including the product pages for every VDSL router I could find.

It is worth noting that the Cellpipes only have 100Mbit ethernet ports so there is no chance of getting over 100Mbit without getting a different VDSL2 router.

Ahh so it will be max 100meg, still not too shabby, i'm waiting to see if they do the upgrade for free for the max subscribers to rival BT, not too fussed in paying an extra 50% to get the faster speed as 40 meg seems fast enough even for blu-ray rips.