Sheffield Local Elections 2012

Sheffield Local Elections 2012 : who will you vote for?  

322 members have voted

1. 1. Sheffield Local Elections 2012 : who will you vote for?

• Lib Dems
    • Labour
    • Green Party
    • Tory
    • UKIP
    • English Democrats
    • Independent

Just looked at the candidates for the Walkley Ward and only two actually live in S6. The UKIP and the Green Party candidate.
The Walkley LibDem candidate lives in S6, in Walkley itself in fact, I've got her leaflet here in front of me. According to her Lord Mayor profile she's lived in Walkley for more than 30 years.

same in High green only the independent candidate lives there.
But it's city council election next week, not a Parish council election, there aren't any candidates for High Green, there are only candidates for West Ecclesfield, and the City Council website shows UKIP, LibDem, Labour and Independant all live in West Ecclesfield. Edited by cornfed_pig

Its perfectly reasonable to expect your local councillor to live in the area. :)

I disagree. As long as they live in the city which I think is the rule and are a decent councillor for all the community they represent then so be it.

It's not difficult keeping upto date with what's happening in any part of the city in this day and age.

I disagree. As long as they live in the city which I think is the rule and are a decent councillor for all the community they represent then so be it.
I agree with your disagreement. As long as they server their area, and serve the city, I don't care where a councillor lives, as long as they live in Sheffield itself. If you had to live in the ward you wanted to stand for election in, then somebody who didn't get selected by their party would be banned from standing anywhere else. You would end up with almost no candidates at all in most of the city.

I know the rules allow you to stand for election if you only work here and not live here, but I think that's a bit too flexible. You could end up with somebody living in Egypt and standing for election in Walkley! :loopy:

Edited by cornfed_pig

Agreed.

The Lib Dems need to do the same, with their campaign literature which is appalling.

It really isn't a surprise that only 30% or so of the electorate bother to vote in local elections.

I completely agree. People are turned off politics enough without these continuous games. Our councillors/parties/MPs need to re-engage the voters, not continue to treat them like imbeciles.

It's not difficult keeping upto date with what's happening in any part of the city in this day and age.

I agree with your disagreement. As long as they server their area, and serve the city, I don't care where a councillor lives, as long as they live in Sheffield itself. If you had to live in the ward you wanted to stand for election in, then somebody who didn't get selected by their party would be banned from standing anywhere else. You would end up with almost no candidates at all in most of the city.

I know the rules allow you to stand for election if you only work here and not live here, but I think that's a bit too flexible. You could end up with somebody living in Egypt and standing for election in Walkley! :loopy:

I personally wouldnt care if the councillor didnt live to far away, but as i originally stated its not unreasonable to expect them to live in the local area.

I get really fed up of seeing stuff like "as your LOCAL candidate, who LIVES in your LOCAL area VOTE for ME because ALL THE OTHER CANDIDATES LIVE 3 MILES AWAY"

I saw a particularly nasty example of it used last week in Rotherham where one candidate had decided to publish the home address of another on a mailshot in a very tacky point scoring exercise with racist overtones.

LiBDem website - couldn't find a list of candidates

Labour website - couldn't find a list of candidates

Green website - couldn't find a list of cadidates

Tory website - couldnt' find a list of candidates

UKIP website - hurray! a list of candidates!

I seem to remember when all the parties listed alll their candidates on their website usually with photos. What are they hiding?

The Greens do have candidates on the website .I have just looked.You need to click on your area and then it tells you who the candidate is for that ward.Click on the name for their profile.

The Greens do have candidates on the website .I have just looked.You need to click on your area and then it tells you who the candidate is for that ward.Click on the name for their profile.

Its likely im going to vote Green. :) But, i still havent definitely made my mind up, if an Independent was running in my area, that would be my preference (if they werent a loony), but its not an option i have.

I apolopgise if I misinterpreted where the Walkley candidates, I mearly assumed by their. S6 post codes on the council website.

Where a candidate lives is important to me personally, as if a candidate lives in the area they will have a better understanding of local issues I think. And are also more likely to really care.

I get really fed up of seeing stuff like "as your LOCAL candidate, who LIVES in your LOCAL area VOTE for ME because ALL THE OTHER CANDIDATES LIVE 3 MILES AWAY"

I saw a particularly nasty example of it used last week in Rotherham where one candidate had decided to publish the home address of another on a mailshot in a very tacky point scoring exercise with racist overtones.

Lemme guess. The BNP?

With less than a week to go I've just had a look at the poll after 220 votes. UKIP are on 20.91% and the English Democrats on 3.18%. The Tories are on about 8%. There may well be a strong UKIP protest vote but I can't see it being 20% across the city and I think the Tories will get more than 8%. As the ED are only standing in one ward then for them to get over 3% of the vote across Sheffield they'll have to get a massive vote in their one ward.

I'd guess then that there's been a lot of voting on here just to get the UKIP and ED vote up. UKIP seem to be doing what the BNP were doing a few years ago, swamping websites with propaganda. The ED will catch up as soon as they learn how to switch a computer on.

There needs to be an option for 'I want to vote but can't bring myself to choose any of the candidates because I know nothing about any of them, and am disillusioned with their parties"

That's the one I'd tick.

I'll spoil my paper again, I suppose.

Rumour has it that Labour will be out in force in Broomhill today.Most of their councillors and .....wait for it , Harriet Harmen.Think I'll get my autograph book. They are chucking every thing they have got to get Scriven out.