Sheffield Local Elections 2012

Sheffield Local Elections 2012 : who will you vote for?  

322 members have voted

1. 1. Sheffield Local Elections 2012 : who will you vote for?

• Lib Dems
    • Labour
    • Green Party
    • Tory
    • UKIP
    • English Democrats
    • Independent

The winner will be the party that the majority of the voting Sheffieldiers put there X across. If you are so strongly against how Sheffield is being controlled by the current lot, get your self to your local polling station on election day and vote for those who you think can do better. 10 minutes of your time, for years of change!

But labour run the council and all the libdems are defending seats they lost last year, and labour are defending seats they won last year. So the only choice is between labour keeping control of the council or labour getting even more control of the council. Even if 51% of voters vote libdem it will still be a labour council.

I'm going to vote my usual way and vote for a person not a party. Luckyly the defending councillor has been here for many years (but not too many, sh'es not dead wood yeat!) and I think she's done a great job as a councillor, so she's got my vote.

But labour run the council and all the libdems are defending seats they lost last year, and labour are defending seats they won last year. So the only choice is between labour keeping control of the council or labour getting even more control of the council. Even if 51% of voters vote libdem it will still be a labour council.

I'm going to vote my usual way and vote for a person not a party. Luckyly the defending councillor has been here for many years (but not too many, sh'es not dead wood yeat!) and I think she's done a great job as a councillor, so she's got my vote.

Thanks for the brilliant news, that whoever I vote for the donkey with the red rosette gets in!

But labour run the council and all the libdems are defending seats they lost last year, and labour are defending seats they won last year.

That's not true. The councillors whose terms have just expired were elected in 2008 although some may have been elected in bye-elections since then. The Lib-Dems successfully defended some seats last year so they will be defending these same seats again this year but with different candidates. Those councillors elected last year aren't defending their seats yet.

I just hope Scriven loses.

I think that is the best reason for voting in local elections. I believe I know the councillor you refer to from some voluntary work I did, and if she was standing in my ward I'd vote for her too. She cares about where she lives, and the people there. Unfortunately, not all wards have candidates like her, many are far more interested in the 'politics' of local government than actually getting involved at grass roots level.

@ LeMaquis - Have you got a link for the Barnsley candidates list ?. They told me that it wouldn't be out until tomorrow.

The BNP in Barnsley are putting up 4 candidates. 3 of these have stood there before and one is new.

Interestingly the English Democrats are putting about a dozen candidates up in Barnsley of whom about half stood for the BNP there last year. These also include two former BNP parliamentary candidates. The ED only had one candidate there in May last year.

The ED have claimed they're not being swamped by ex-BNP members but this would suggest otherwise.

http://www.barnsley.gov.uk/electoral-services

I find it odd that people would vote for some one just because they are an Independent. Surely it should be about what they stand for.

I always thought UKIP were the posh branch of the BNP.:)

Must take some effort as an independent.

I think that is the best reason for voting in local elections. I believe I know the councillor you refer to from some voluntary work I did, and if she was standing in my ward I'd vote for her too. She cares about where she lives, and the people there. Unfortunately, not all wards have candidates like her, many are far more interested in the 'politics' of local government than actually getting involved at grass roots level.

The independent in HIGH GREEN says if he gets in he will get the council to clean the streets of litter and dog mess or do it himself, I was quite impressed by that.

Not sure where my vote will go but I am tired of being screwed over so I guess I can exclude Labour and Conservative.

Not sure where my vote will go but I am tired of being screwed over so I guess I can exclude Labour and Conservative.

Which ward are you in?

Which ward are you in?

Going by an early post i'm in BNP country (shhh! Barnsley)

Going by an early post i'm in BNP country (shhh! Barnsley)

Lot of angry people in Barnsley. From the outside looking in I think thats due to Labour shafting them.

Lot of angry people in Barnsley. From the outside looking in I think thats due to Labour shafting them.

I think you might be right.